Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
M15w printer
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have downloaded and reinstalled countless times, and used the Doctor software, but still the printer says Driver not available and it isn't listed when I want to print something.

This is a new printer, and when first installed it worked. However, after I removed my old HP printer from the list in Settings, it stopped and refuses to co-operate.

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi @Penimagic

Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Try these steps -

1) In the search box, type and open "Uninstall a Program". 
2) Look for HP Printer software. 
3) Right-click to uninstall. 
4) In the search box, type and open “Devices and printers”. 
5) In the Devices and Printers, look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose “Delete” or “Remove Device”. 
6) Open the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo.  
7) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”). 
8) Click on the "Drivers" tab. 
9) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click “Remove” at the bottom. 
10) Select Ok. 
11) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows. 
12) Close Devices and Printers Once the software and drivers are removed. 
13) Restart the computer. 
14) Download and install the software and drivers from here.

If the issue still persists, try Windows Built-in Print Driver. Refer to this document for steps. 

Let me know how that goes. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I'm having the exact same problem as the original poster on this topic. 

I've tried to install the printer via the HP Smart Print App,  and it has an error after locating the printer and going through the installation. 

After locating the printer, it searches for the print driver information. I get to where I go to Settings>Printers & Scanners>Add Device>Install and Windows finishes the steps, then it shows the printer under my connected Printers & Scanners, but has a "Driver is unavailable" message underneath the printer. Clicking on the printer in this category only shows a "remove device" button. 

I went to the HP Drivers provided under the website that is given on the instruction packet in the printer's packaging ( www.hp.support.com/ljM14 ) and have followed those instructions after removing the device completely from my computer to start with a clean slate, but they have also failed.

I've been scouring the internet for an answer, but everything I've found doesn't work. I'm concerned, as to this is a new printer I had just purchased merely days ago and I can't use it unless I'm printing directly from my phone on the HP Smart App. It really lowers the convenience of having this printer in the first place...

HP Recommended

@Sheb007

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Let's try using the built-in drivers: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c01796879

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have tried to use the Windows 10 built-in installation drivers. Nothing pops up, it still reads as "driver is unavailable" after completing the process.

HP Recommended

@Sheb007 Click here to see this video in full screen on YouTube.

Step 1: Remove the printer from Devices and Printers

Remove any icons for your printer from the Devices and Printers folder.

1. If your printer connects to the computer with a USB cable, disconnect the cable from the printer.

2. Turn the printer off and on again, and make sure that it is in a ready state.

3. Search Windows for devices, and then click Devices and Printers in the list of results.

4. Right-click the printer icon () for your printer, and then click Remove Device. Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the process.

5. If multiple icons exist for the printer, remove them all.

FOR DETAILS & FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS, USE THIS LINK: CLICK HERE & SKIP TO STEP 2 ONWARD

(By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved)

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

When I follow these instructions, the installation cannot complete. The Installation has a warning window that pops up with the explanation:

"Unable to install printer. The print processor does not exist."

HP Recommended

@Sheb007 I understand, here's a few other things you need to do, to resolve the issue:

Uninstall the drivers again and this time, install the universal printer driver by clicking here

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I followed the installation and although this installs a printer in my system, it doesn't let me print from it.
I sent the test page to the printer, and now it just clicks like it wakes up to print, but doesn't produce any test paper. I've checked the spooler, and nothing is stalled or in process of printing.

HP Recommended

Try using the HP built-in drivers: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c01796879

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.