Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP LaserJet Pro M202 series
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi HP Community,

My LaserJet M402dw shows as "Open" as opposed to "Secured" when viewed on my computer's listing of available networks in the area.  I opened the HP EWS, under the "Networking" TAB, and see that "Wi-Fi Direct Setup" is turned off, which is what I believe is prefferable.  I reviewed a number of forum entries in the same general subject area.  While I found a number of responses on turning off Direct Setup, I did not find any that addressed getting the printer "secured" on the network listing.  

I did go to "Wireless Configuration" under the Networking tab, and noted that status was "on" and connected to my SSID.  The Configuration Method was set to "Join and existing wireless network."  I entered the passpharase for my SSID and clicked on "Apply," thinking that would take care of the problem...  Clicking on the "Internet Access" icon on my computer still showed the printer as being "Open."  I also  directly entered my SSID in the EWS, as opposed to clicking on the same SSID in the listing in the EWS, with no change in the result after reentering the passpharase and applying the change in the EWS.

This may be an issue of not knowing what to do, or perhaps, maybe not needing to do anything.  I would be grateful for any help that will set me straight.  🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@TheGlobal

Firstly turn OFF Wifi Direct will stop its (printer) network to open. After joining your home SSID it will be able access to the Internet as normal same as all other devices on your SSID ANY security concern is up to your network, not printer.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@TheGlobal

Firstly turn OFF Wifi Direct will stop its (printer) network to open. After joining your home SSID it will be able access to the Internet as normal same as all other devices on your SSID ANY security concern is up to your network, not printer.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your excerllent advice.  I know there must be an answer someplace in all of the documentatioin that HP provides.  Often it is a matter of framing one's question properly.  Thankfully, people like you make a big difference in the lives of others.  

Kind regards!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.