Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Laserjet M451
Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

When I try to print an Acrobat pdf document, the output is multiple times what I request. In fact, it is the number of requested copies squared! Asking for one copy gets one, for two gets four, for three nine, etc. This does not happen when printing from my iPad, but only from my desktops. One uses Mac OS 10.7.5, the other 10.8.5. Both have the same result. Printing word documents, etc. prints correct number of copies.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I know this is an older topic, but it comes up first in a web search .  We are having this issue with an M452nw randomly.  All settings are fine- 1 copy in web interface and mopier mode disabled.  

What I found to be the problem is Windows moving the printer from a specified IP Port to a WSD Port.  When it's on the IP Port everything works fine, but as soon as Windows 'decides' that a WSD Port would serve the system better, then problems occur- print jobs do not get deleted from the spooler, multiple copies print, etc.

Manually move the printer back to the proper IP Port and then disable WSD as explained Here

Hope this helps other IT Admins!

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi r-g-t,

I just posted this answer for a very similar problem in the same machine that was reported today and found your unanswered post when I went in to answer that one.  Sorry for long delays.

This is a very interesting problem and I am not sure that this will help, but it is worth a try. 

There is a print copy setting that is in the Embedded Web Service for this machine that is not on the control panel as far as I can find it.  Also, I am working with a slightly newer machine, so all bets might be off.

1.  Open a browser like explorer that is on the same network as your printer, if possible

2.  In the address window for the browser type in the IP address of the printer (this can be found on the configuration page or if you have a touch screen via the network settings system)

3.  once you send the address of the printer, a window should open with the name of the printer across the top and 5 or 6 tabs across the area just below that.

4.  Open the Print Tab and on the left sublist select Printing

5.  There should be a "NUMBER OF COPIES" box with a 1-999 setting allowed

6.  Make sure that the setting is one (1) in that box, APPLY, and then try again.

I am not sure why PDF's would be different than word documents, but since this might be an interaction between drivers and the internal system, anything can happen. 

Even though your progression is not just a number of copies mode, I suspect that since this was supposed to be used instead of putting the number of copies for a print job in the driver, somehow the two numbers are interacting to give your exponential output.  Please follow up and let me know if your number of copies was set to something other than 1, since this is possibly a bug that HP has not seen till now.  Especially if it is new for windows 10.  The Driver setting of number of copies was supposed to override this setting and if it no longer does this others could see a similar waste of toner and paper.

Others at HP asked me what kind of 2016 welcome pdf you were trying to print on New Year's Eve  ((;-)>

Thanks, Dovid

I am an HP Employee
I work in Laser Jet Printing ((;-)>
The opinions expressed here are my own and not those of HP. Kudos are always appreciated if I have helped you.
HP Recommended

Chiming in with a "me too", but with a LaserJet m452 on Windows 7.  We're using the HP Universal Print Driver (have tried both PCL 5 and PCL 6 versions) and get the same thing across every PC in the org:  If you print 2 copies in Excel, you get 4.  If you print 9 copies in Excel, you get 81.  It's not some random overprint of a few extra copies, it's always the exact square of the number of copies requested.  100% reproducible with either of the latest UPD installations.   We have Xerox printers installed via Group Policy from the same print server and they don't have the issue, it is definitely a problem with the HP driver.  The printers all show just 1 copy in the web interface, so the possibility mentioned above doesn't come into play.

HP Recommended

Same issue here.  Only HP printers, multiple laserjet models, multiple OS versions (Windows 7 and 10), and same multiplication of prints - 2 = 4, 3 = 9 and so on.  Anyone get a fix on this???  Desperate to resolve.

HP Recommended

Any additional info with this problem. I am also experiencing on 1 of 3 M451-DN Printers. All using Latest UPD.

HP Recommended

I also have this happening with:

P2055

M451

M476

All using latest UPD and firmware on printers. Seemed to only happen after a UPD update in December (unsure of which version as multiple copy printing is not common in this workplace).

I should note this is happening from any program: Adobe, word, notepad...

The multiple copy settings in the printer are all correct, so leads me to believe it is the UPD...

HP Recommended

Hi,

Please try to check the 'Mopier Mode' under Devices and Printers -> printer properties (current printer under using) -> Device Setting, if the Mopier Mode is disabled, please enable this setting, then try to see if this issue can be resolved or not.

With this mode enabled, a printer can receive one copy of a document, and print multiple collated copies.

With this mode disabled, the printer must be sent multiple copies of the print document in order to print multiple collated copies.

Let me know if my resolution can resolve your problem.

Hanson

HP Recommended

Same problem here with a NON-HP printer (Brother MFC9340CDW).     So the problem might be in a generic Windows driver.

(Or it could be the same or similar bug re-implemented by other people...)

HP Recommended

Well, it seems the Mopier mode disablement has solved the issue. Can't explain why, but hey, I'm happy now!

HP Recommended

I was having issues with a few different model HP printers printing off 4 copies when only 2 were requested in MS-Word. Seemed to be OK in MS-Excel for some reason.

Changing the Mopier settigngto enabled resolved the issue.

Strange but excellent fix.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.