Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP LaserJet Pro P1102 Printer series
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I have had a LaserJet P1102W for a while and used it very happily on my laptop.  I was then out of the country for work for a couple of years.  I am now reunited with my printer but it is not recognised when I plug it in through the USB cable.  That is, when I search for printer using Windows or HP set up tools they say there is no printer attached.

I am plugging the printer in to the same laptop, but there have been major changes since I last used the printer, namely my laptop has been updated from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and I have a different router.

When it did not work at first I was not surpised.  I went to the HP site and downloaded Windows 10 drivers.  Still no success.  So, I uninstalled the printer, all HP software, etc. from the laptop and restarted.  Downloaded drivers again but still the printer is not recognised.  The file I downloaded is hp_LJP1100_P1560_P1600_Full_solution-v20120831-50157036_SMO.

I have a feeling that it may be a physical problem, e.g. with the USB connection on the printer itself, but I don't know for sure.

The printer is powered on and has green light switched on as normal when it is in standby mode.

What seems suspicious is that when I plug the USB cable into the laptop from the printer there is no beep like there usually is when plugging in a USB device.

I have tried other devices to confirm that the USB port on my laptop is working and that the USB cable is working.  I have also tried the printer on another laptop but still not recognised.

I would be quite happy to use the printer wirelessly, however from looking into the user guide I have to plug the printer in with USB first to configure the wireless netweek.  So prevented from doing this by original problem.

Any suggestions?

Thank you

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @Colin_T_UK,

Good Day.  Thank you for posting your query in the HP community.  I read the post regarding issues with d installing the printer via a USB connection. I will be delighted to assist you here.

Superb description and spectacular troubleshooting and commendable diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you for that. 🙂

For better clarity and to assist you better I would require more information regarding this:

• Was there a power outage or surge before this?

For now, let me keep you posted about a few things here.

• You have nailed it. Multiple computers and USB ports have been tried and still, the printer is not recognized. It is an issue with the USB port of the printer.
  • To configure this printer on a wireless network you need to first install it as a USB printer and then convert the USB connection to a wireless one, which will bring you right back to square one- the original USB problem.

Please contact HP phone support to get the printer replaced as its hardware is faulty. I am being honest about it by keeping your best interest in mind without beating around the bush.

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: http://hp.care/2r9wSvP

• Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.
  • Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.
  • Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.
  • Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

If the unit is under warranty, the manufacturer’s warranty should take care of it for you.

Hope this helps. Let me know how it goes. To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care and have a blessed week ahead. 🙂

Cheers!

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for you clear response.   I will contact support.  Great instructions for how to get the number - that can be a real pain finding on some websites.

HP Recommended

Hi @Colin_T_UK,

I reviewed the post. Thanks for the super quick response.You've done great here by displaying immense patience, great attitude and excellent technical competence to try and resolve the issue. Kudos to you for that. 🙂

I am glad that you feel that way. Now trust me I've done all I can to assist you by keeping your best interest in mind. It has been a fabulous experience working with you and an absolute honor to share this platform with you

I hope the product works great and lasts you a long time.

If this helped then to simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care, stay healthy, keep smiling big and have a blessed year ahead. 🙂

Cheers!

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.