Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Laserjet P1606dn
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have 3 HP printers, the Laserjet is the one I use most.  My first question is that my printer is offline.  When I run the Print and Scan Doctor, it helps with one page.  I can try to print another right after the first, but it is offline.  It takes me  a lot of time to print several pages.  I am tearing my hair out.  I know it is not my computer, because I had a technician from Dell go through the entire system to detect any problem, which there were none.  I have removed the printer and downloaded the drivers for it several times and it does the same thing. 

My second problem is that the Laser printer goes off within 2 minutes.  I have tried to change it, per instructions from the Community Boards, but to no avail.  I hope you can give me some help that works.  It seems like nothing does (I have looked for this problem and found it several times.  None of the instructions to fix it work).

Susan

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

For the Laser going offline. Check the port type being used for the printer driver on the PC. On the computer "control panel>devices and printers, right click on the icon for the printer and select properties" Check the port tab, if the port type is WSDxxxxxxx. (xxxxxx  is a random number) then change it to a standard TCP/IP port. Also turn off Windows Printer Management as it does not reliably detect that printers are online or that issues have been resolved such as out of paper or jam, even after fixing them.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Hi Repairatrooper:  Love the name.  Thanks so very much for your help.  Unfortunately, the printer is on a standard TCP/IP port, and the Windows Printer Manager is turned off.  This is what I mean about tearing my hair out.  I look forward to hearing your reply.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.