Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Laserjet P3015
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have a Laserjet P3015 on my network. It has developed a condition where after it is powered on for a half hour or so, it displays Error 49.FF04 and will not print.

I updated the firmware, no improvement.

I disconnected it from the network, powered off, then on. Same behavior: OK at first, then got the same error.

Planning to replace formatter board. Is this the best idea at this point?

TIA for your help!

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

That is very odd. So, to make sure I understand, if you disconnect all data cables and leave the printer powered ON, it will eventually get the 49 error? 

Make sure you're plugged directly into a wall power outlet and not into a power strip, surge protector or UPS. Any one of these can cause strange problems. Make sure the power you have is good, clean, stable power and not fluctuating or has other high power demanding devices on the same electrical circuit (i.e. microwave, refrigerator, etc.).

Typically a bad formatter will get a 49 error at power up, not 30 minutes later, unless there is a power or data problem. Maybe try plugging it in at a friends house to see if it still fails.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply. Actually, the error pops up after about only 10 minutes after the printer is switched on. I've had this printer for years, never had any problems with it. It used to be connected to the AC supply via a large APC UPS box, but  that UPS is now down due to battery failure, and haven't gotten around to replacing the batteries as I have other UPS boxes to handle the network equipment that was also plugged into the unit with dead batteries.

The printer has been connected directly to the wall outlet. This is an old industrial park, and the AC supply is not all that great. The other UPS boxes go on battery due to over/under line voltage fluctiuations, maybe once a day for a few seconds. But the printer goes offline and pops the error message even when nothing is doing, as shown on the UPS box supply monitors. 

So, I dunno.

HP Recommended

Well, if it was working well before your UPS went down and now it is having issues, it may be related to your power - but hard to say. I've not seen 49 errors related to power issues, but I can't say it can't happen. I've seen weird issues due to power or devices plugged into UPS, power strips or other such power outlets, and manufacturers recommend staying away from those, but maybe you need yours back. UPS's will also filter noise from the line as well as compensate for power fluctuations. It may be that there is noise (electrical noise) in the power that is affecting your printer that won't be evident unless checked with special equipment like an oscilloscope or other test equipment.

I'd say try fixing your UPS first and if it still fails, I'd try the formatter next. It's odd though that it powers up OK, then 10 minutes or so later the error comes up. I've not encountered that symptom before.

HP Recommended

Well, I had the printer turned off for a few hours - unplugged - and I plugged it back into the UPS. This was a week ago.

Since then no errors, performs perfectly! I believe that previously I had just turned it off, unplugged, immediately plugged back in. It sure seems to be like something "stuck" in the printer's software/firmware somehow.

HP Recommended

Glad it's working. Whenever you turn off or unplug a printer, you should always wait a few minutes (at least 1 minute) before plugging back in/turning back on. That allows the printer to shut down completely and allow for a clean power up. Immediately never goes well. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.