Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Laserjet Pro 200 Color M276N
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've reviewed the previous posts on this issue and tried all the suggestions with no resolution. I still get the REAR DOOR OPEN error although the rear door is NOT open.

What I have done to date:

1. When you flip the back door down, you will see two plastic pieces near the top.

Check to make sure they aren't broken off.

NOT broken off.

2. If you hold the door shut with some pressure, can you still print?

NO, cannot print

3. Power reset, cord to wall outlet, etc.

NO change, Rear Door open error persists.

4. update the printer's firmware 

Updated to most recent firmware, no change.

Unfortunately, this expensive printer is now out of warranty and I am out of recommended solutions to resolve the error.

Anyone have any new suggestions? 

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

I will try and help.When you close the door there is an opening where a activator must reach a sensor or micro switch.Find the opening and interlock that with a small piece of folded paper.The error will go away even with the door open.Then you know that is where the switch is.Find the way to close the door that the switch gets activated.Hope that will solve your problem.

I am A certified Copier Technician.
It is so nice to give some help where possible and the forum is a great idea Thank You.Sometimes a picture speaks louder than words to find a solution.Should you find my help use full just give some credit for my effort please.
.Thank You.Copier-Pro
If you found this post helpful, you can let others know and also show your appreciation by clicking the “Accept as Solution”button, “Thumbs up" button!

#################################################################
I'M NOT AN HP EMPLOYEE AND DO ANSWER THESE QUESTION ON MY OWN BEHALF.
#################################################################
HP Recommended

Thank you for your offer of assistance. In previous threads, it has mentioned that the sensor for the rear door is on the left side where the tab inserts when you close the door. See photo below.

Is this the sensor (circled) in the photo?

If so, no amount of pressure with the door open turns off the "rear door open" error.

Is there any way to disable the sensor? Any other suggestions?

I called for support for this out of warranty printer and the best they could do is $340 for a refurbished replacement, which is close to what I paid for when new two years ago.

So I still have a perfectly good working printer that won't let me get past the error message. I also have four new HP cartridges installed, about $300 worth, now worthless.

Laser Pro 200 rear door sensor (Mobile).jpg

HP Recommended

Well, the silence is deafening. I guess I have to throw out this printer for lack of parts or repair for a 10 cent Chinese rear door sensor.

Anyone want to bid on $300 worth of toner cartridges?

HP Recommended

I cant stand this **bleep**! I need my printer and I hate that you can spend $500 on a printer and right when its out of warranty it breaks! BARELY used this **bleep** thing

HP Recommended

If you haven't yet tossed it in the bin, I was having the same issue today. I would only get the error once I attempted to print. Looking at the paper path I noticed the paper wasn't able to travel past the sensor. 

On the underside of the top edge of the cavity (when the rear door is open) there is a swinging door that should be grabbed by the door closing (which allows the paper to complete the journey). After a bit of fiddling I was able to get it to release - it appears that it became wedged when the rear door had been closed. After freeing it, we've been able to print again without the error. 

YMMV - but one more thing to try....

HP Recommended

Dear All 

Greeting's

I Face The Same Issue For My HP LaserJet 200 color MFB m276nw,

Regard The Rear Door Open Issue 

Kindly check The Attached Photos Regard The Sensor Location, I Couldn't Take A Clear Pic But As You Will See In Your Printer  A Locking Mechanism Is Likely Brocken, You Need To Lift It Up By Gently Push It To Your Direction Then all The Way Up Until It Locked Back, Then Close The Rear Door

That Solved My Issue, Hope To Solve Your's 🙂

Jam.jpgUp.jpg

HP Recommended

Can you post a picture of this second door?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.