Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Laserjet Pro 200 Color MFP
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

A few weeks ago HP sent through an upgrade for my printer mentioned in the subject.  Ever since then network connections to the printer have been very erratic.  I’m connecting via Ethernet cable on a hardwired network.  I have never had any printing problems before, but now I usually have to turn the printer off and back on to get it to print.  Very annoying.  Is there any way to back up to the previous firmware?  It worked just fine. 

Is the sleep function something new?  I had never noticed that before.  I think there might be a bug in that.  In the past my LCD screen always stayed on, and I never had a problem printing.  Now, the LCD screen occasionally goes off.  The weird thing is if the screen is off, the printer will wake up and print.  If the screen stays on for a while, that’s when I can’t print, and I have to restart the printer. 

Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I have found a fix for my printer.  Unplug the telephone wire from back of machine (give up the fax capability).  Go to System Setup, Energy Settings, Shut Down After - Select Never.  I don't think the Sleep/Auto Off After setting matters.  (I have selected 1 Hour).  I have not lost connection to my Mac nor to my Comcast network for several days.  I don't have a fax machine now, but I can print from all devices without having to reboot printer.

View solution in original post

30 REPLIES 30
HP Recommended

Hi,

Click the Setup icon and select Reports, then select Config Report.

What is the listed datecode of your printer?

The latest firmware at hp.com been released over 1.5 years ago, therefore I wonder what exact version you refer to.

Also try restarting your router by unplugging its power for 10 seconds, allow it 3 minutes to fully start and then resetart the printer too and check if that may make any difference.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

You are so right.  My firmware datecode is 20150212.  So I wonder what the heck was actually upgraded.  

I have restarted the router and printer, but had the same issues.  Then I did a static IP address for the printer (on the router and the printer).  I used the same IP that the printer was getting via DHCP.  But, this didn't help either.  

So weird...as I sit here the LCD screen went off.   So I printed something, and the printer woke up just fine and printed.  I'm going to see if the LCD goes off in 30 minutes (that's the current setting for sleep).  If it doesn't, I bet I won't be able to print without rebooting the printer. 

HP Recommended

Is the pritner conencted wirelessly or with an ethernet cable?

For a wireless connection, how far approx. is the printer located away from your router?

What is the WiFi signal quality shown when pressing the WiFi icon on its screen?

HP Recommended

The printer is connected by Ethernet cable.  Wireless is turned off.

The LCD panel seems to go to sleep more or less at random times.  Today it seems to be going off only a few minutes after printing something.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Click the Setup icon adn then System Setup, llok for Energy or Power settings, there for Wake Events.

Ensure any Wake enent is set as On.

May you see any difference?

If not, may you remember if the update progres bar was seen on the printer screen itself or on your PC screen?

If it occured on upir PC, may you remember if it was an HP dialog or maybe a Windows Update for your driver?

From the Control Panel select Devices and Printers.

Right click the printer and select Printer Properties.

Within the Ports tab click on New Port and set a Standard TCP/IP Port.

Follow the wizard by providing the printer's IP Address and press OK to confirm.

May you see any different now?

HP Recommended

All wake events are on.

I'm reasonably sure it was an HP update that came through the HP Assistant software.

Hmm...maybe this is part of the issue.  In "Devices and Printers" I'm seeing two HP Laserjet Pro 200's. One says "HP LaserJet 200 color MFP M276 PCL 6" and the other says "NPI5E28E3(HP LaserJet 200 colorMFP M276nw).  It shows only the NPI5E28E3 is network connected.  Under events for the NPI5E28E3 it does show this note with a timestamp of 10/13/2016, which is probably about right for the time I recall an update running:

"Driver Management concluded the process to install driver hpcm276u.inf_amd64_65e402fbc2b1b14d\hpcm276u.inf for Device Instance ID SWD\PRINTENUM\WSD-F0EC0395-8D2D-4EF4-9E21-DB5A24E699CD.0064 with the following status: 0x0."

HP Recommended

After I set the TCP/IP port, now I'm seeing three HP Laserjet Pro 200's in Devices!  Only one appears to be network connected.  

HP Recommended

Right click the Ethernet or WiFi icon on your PC and select Open Network and Sharing Cneter.

Click on Change advanced sharing settings and ensure the box next to 'Turnn on automatic setup of network connected devices' is unchecked, then press Save Changes.

Next oipen teh Control Panel and select Devices and Printers, right click the NPI5E28E3 printer icon and select Remove Device, this is a print queue added by the operating system. (due the setting we disabled above)

Now you should see 2 print queues, one for scanning and the other one for printing via the added TCP/IP port, you would not see the pritner multiple times within a print dialog.

May you see any difference while trying to print?

If you've seen an update through teh software, that may was any software / driver update, not a firmware update for the printer. for a such you will see a progress bar on the printer screen itself.

Please let me know how it goes once removing the WSD added queue and setting a Standard TCP/IP port.

HP Recommended

Well I've pretty much exhausted all your advice.  Thank you very much.  Unfortunately, I've isolated the problem to one persistent flaw.  If the LCD screen goes into sleep mode within 10 minutes or so, I'm able to print with no problem.  If the LCD screen stays on more than say 30 minutes, I can't print.  I have to reboot the printer.  

I believe the problem is in the programming of the "sleep mechanism".  Since I never saw this feature until the "upgrade", I'm believe I was running a version of the firmware that was older than datecode 20150212.

Do you know of any way I can back up to the firmware version before 20150212?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.