Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Laserjet Pro MFP M426fdw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello Community.

First sorry for my bad english.

I have a problem with a Laserjet Pro MFP M426fdw.
If there is a lot of paper in paper-tray 2 (about 2/3 of maximum), it prints easily (without any problem).

A paper jam error occurs at about under 1/3 of the paper maximum
(no matter if printing from the computer or copying).

But there is no paper jam. If I refill enough paper and press OK, it will print normally again.

Does anyone have a solution or a similar problem?
Thanks for answers and stay healthy!

Here are some pictures:

PrintingPrintingNot printingNot printingPaper tray side view 1Paper tray side view 1Paper tray side view 2Paper tray side view 2Bottom viewBottom viewPaper rollsPaper rolls

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I see the problem in your picture labeled paper tray side view 1. 

There is a white plastic piece that sits on the inside of the tray where the paper is that is the lever for the paper fullness indicator on the front of the tray. If you look at it, it is shaped kind of like a C. If you take out all of the paper and release the metal tray lock-downs to allow the tray to pop up, you'll see the metal tray pushes up against the bottom of that C plastic piece. The plastic piece is supposed to sit on either side (half on top and the other half underneath) of the metal lift plate, not on top. This is common where the plastic piece finds it's way off and on top the plate instead and prevents the tray from lifting fully. Carefully reposition the plastic C part so that the metal lift plate sits in the middle of it instead of underneath it. Now when the plate moves up and down you should see the paper fullness indicator on the front of the tray to move with it. 

If my post resolves your issue please click the accepted as solution button under it.
Also, To thank a Tech for a post click the thumbs up button under the post.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

I see the problem in your picture labeled paper tray side view 1. 

There is a white plastic piece that sits on the inside of the tray where the paper is that is the lever for the paper fullness indicator on the front of the tray. If you look at it, it is shaped kind of like a C. If you take out all of the paper and release the metal tray lock-downs to allow the tray to pop up, you'll see the metal tray pushes up against the bottom of that C plastic piece. The plastic piece is supposed to sit on either side (half on top and the other half underneath) of the metal lift plate, not on top. This is common where the plastic piece finds it's way off and on top the plate instead and prevents the tray from lifting fully. Carefully reposition the plastic C part so that the metal lift plate sits in the middle of it instead of underneath it. Now when the plate moves up and down you should see the paper fullness indicator on the front of the tray to move with it. 

If my post resolves your issue please click the accepted as solution button under it.
Also, To thank a Tech for a post click the thumbs up button under the post.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your help.

I noticed this during the second check. But the part should be broken, because the spring has also come off.

Is there a chance to buy only the paper-tray from HP?

HP Recommended

I'm not sure what spring you're referring to. The only springs I know of on the tray are the ones for the tray hold-down levers on each side and the ones under the metal lift plate itself. There isn't one for the indicator arm. It should ride up and down with the lift plate as it moves. It just needs to be positioned around the metal lift plate so that the lower part of it sits under the plate and the upper part sits on top of the plate. From your pictures I didn't see a problem with any missing springs.

You can get a replacement paper tray off the internet. The part number is: RM2-5392-000cn

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.