Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended

As I stated, I found the downgraded firmware on another site and followed the instructions to install it successfully.  My printer shows the downgraded firmware.  The issue is as stated, I still cannot print.  The computer recognizes the printer is there.  When i go to print, the print queue shows that the print job has been received and that it has printed.  However, nothing prints.  The printer just goes back to sleep.

HP Recommended

Contact HP, they will help you fix the problem.  They assisted me and had me up and running in no time.  I was also informed that they are issuing a fix to the update that created all the problems.

HP Recommended

When I contacted them two weeks ago they said they no longer support 3rd party cartridges and there was nothing that could be done. Horrible company. Will never buy their products again. 

HP Recommended

Did either of you (IvanG77 or Teebee412) find a phone number for HP support?
I cannot find an email contact either.  Just a perpetual trap of entering the Serial number, the being brushed off by the "virtual assistant".

Sounds like HP's tune changed in the last 2 weeks - maybe someone hired a lawyer to get compensation for lost product & time.  I'm sure they know that they can't intentionally damage someone's property and expect to get away with it. 

HP Recommended

How did you contact HP?
I've been trying all morning and have found no way in.  If you found a support phone #, please post it.

Thanks!

HP Recommended

I spent almost 30 minutes yesterday trying to find a phone number for HP support. I kept going round and round with the Virtual Support Assistant. I finally just kept entering Customer Support in the chat window and it prompted me for my printer’s serial number and product number. I had both and entered them correctly at least a dozen times as it kept saying they were incorrect. Finally,....it got to a point where I needed to create an account and once I did that it gave me the support Case number and telephone number to call... [personal info removed].

I then was on the phone for 2 hours and 45 minutes with Tier 1 support trying to trouble shoot why the printer is no longer printing after the firmware upgrade and then downgrade. The support person tried everything. New drivers, new firmware, removing the printer adding the printer. The one thing that struck me as odd was she did not balk at all about one of my toner cartridges being non HP. She stated all the time she would fix the issue. She finally asked if she could take over my computer. As we were into this for over 2 hours at that time I said YES.

It was obvious that the computer recognized the printer and the printer could print it's own self tests etc. however each time we tried a test print even though the computer said that it printer it never woke up the printer and never printed. My printer has been connected to my computer via USB and as i told the support person, had been printing just fine until the forced firmware update. She obviously has been hearing a lot about this issue and it appears they do have an update that takes care of this issue. But she still could not get the printer to print. She finally had me unplug the USB cable and we set the printer up wirelessly. My main computer (one of 9) which is a desktop is connected to my home network via CAT5 cable and does not have a wireless NIC. I have a Wireless Access Point sitting in the mix of my home network so all of the wireless network devices in the house work of the same network. Once we configured the printer with a wireless connection, the computer once again saw the printer and says that it is printing to it. The printer even jumps a bit when a print job is initiated. However, nothing prints.

She finally said that she exhausted everything she knows to try and said a tier2 or tier3 support person would contact me within 48 hours and to use the case number I had.

As a test, I've added this printer as a new printer to my 3 Microsoft Surfaces which are connected to my home network wirelessly and bingo bango... I can print just fine from all 3. I've checked the remaining wired computers in the house and they also all see the printer and when I send a test print from them the printer wakes up but does not print.

So, the firmware installed now will allow me to print with non HP toner cartridges and I am now waiting to hear back from HP Tier2/3 support.

HP Recommended

I just created an HP account to come on and thank you for your tech savvy.  What HP has done is fraud by holding our devices ransom until we pay them money (ie, buy their ink), after years of fine use with 3rd party products.

I do appreciate your having provided live links to the solution, thank you very much.  Most customers would just buy their ink and not bother with the firmware hassle... for them to even affirmatively remove the ability for the determined consumer to roll back is so filthy.  

Thanks again!

HP Recommended

Thank you or all of the advice,  it saved me a lot of research and trial and error!

HP Recommended

Sorry for the duplicate posts!  

This thread saved me a lot of problems, using it and an internet search on FTP'ing an hp printer, I had this process done in under 2 hours total.

Now, (assuming I had a copy of the desired firmware) I could do this in under 30 minutes.

HP Recommended

How do I swap the software out from our directions once I have renamed the file from step one. Do I just leave it on the desktop? Or do I need to put in somewhere in that installer? I have tried deleting the old file to put new one in it's place and it will not let me do that or drag and drop it in? Not sure what to do from this step now since everytime I run installer it is just installing new firmware still not the downgrade version. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.