Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP M180nw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I originally had the M180nw supply issue which after much sleuthing was solved by HP Tier 3.  Everything has been working just fine until this week.  Now when I try to print, the printer wakes up and jumps to life but never prints.  There are no computer errors and no errors showing on the printer.  It appears the computer thinks that it printed successfully.   When HP support fixed the previous issue they set the printer up with a wireless connection.  Prior it had been setup with a USB connection.  The printer is SHARED so that I can print from all the other computers on our home network.  With this new issue I removed the printer and re-installed all the HP software and setup the printer up with a USB connection.  The setup was successful.  The computer sees the printer no problem.  HP diagnostics sees the printer and shows that it is functioning just fine.  However, still no printing!  The funny thing is that I SHARED out the printer again and ALL of my other computers on my home network can print to it but my main computer which the printer is connected to via USB cannot.  How bazaar!  Any suggestions on how to fix this.  Also, does anyone know if an easy way to actually contact HP support?  Right now this printer is just a boat anchor...  HELP!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I fixed the issue by selecting HP Universal Printing PCL 6 (v7.0.0) driver instead of the one specific to my printer that all the HP software kept installing.  What a chore!!!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hello @Tdehan

It seems that it is a windows 10 print jobs disappearance.

My suggestion is first to check the spool directory

Press Win+R on the keyboard and on run type %systemroot%\system32\spool\PRINTERS , check if directory is empty, if not delete everything. In case you cannot delete them you should restart spool service. 

Restart spooler service: Press Win+R and type net stop spooler, after that you will be allowed to delete everything in spool directory, then you should start again spooler by  net start spooler command.

If problem persists try to restart again spool service and check again.

If problem persists try to update windows and check again.

If problem persists try to change driver for example use a UPD driver to test.

At the moment that other clients are able to print the problem is located on a the specific device.

I hope i helped.

HP Recommended

None of the suggestions work.  What next?  How does one actually reach a live human with HP support?

HP Recommended

hello Tdehan,

at me moment that  problem persists you can send me pm to examine the issue.

HP Recommended

I have the printer setup as a wireless network printer.  The really strange thing is that ALL the other computers on my home network can see and print to this printer.  It just my main computer that can't print to it.  Windows throws no errors.  Windows as well as the HP Print and Scan Doctor see the printer, says it is connected and operational.  When I try to print a test page, Windows thinks that the test page printed successfully and throws no errors.  Windows print diagnostics finds no issue with the printer.  The HP software even shows the ink level in each cartridge and shows the printer as online.  I can even ping the printer successfully.  So, everything appears to be working fine.  I just can't print from my main computer.  I've tried adding the printer with a USB connection (which prior to all of this worked flawlessly for 2 years) and with a wireless network connection.

The strange thing is that I can SCAN successfully, wirelessly to the printer from my main computer.  Just can't print.

And the really strange thing is that my main computer sees the printer as: HP ColorLaserJet MFP M178-M181 PCL-6 (V4) (Network)

All the other computers on my home network see the printer as: NPI5F11D3 (HP Color LaserJet MFP M180nw)

Can anyone help with this issue or suggest how to get a live or chat person from HP?

HP Recommended

Hello tdehan,

i send pm.

Check if port on driver is WSD, change the port to TCP/IP.

if issue persists change driver.

HP Recommended

It is set automatically to WSD.  Even when I change it to TCPIP it changes back automatically to WSD.

HP Recommended

I fixed the issue by selecting HP Universal Printing PCL 6 (v7.0.0) driver instead of the one specific to my printer that all the HP software kept installing.  What a chore!!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.