Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
M252dw
Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan

I'm using Word 2016 for MAC.  Have defined custom size for 3" x 5" index cards, and placed a supply of cards into tray #2.  When I try to print a test card, Word displays the proper print preview, then first a blank card comes out to the tray, then the printer screen indicates "cleaning", then the printer screen says "Unexpected paper size, load letter in tray 2".  What must I do to print index cards from Word?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I finally resolved my problem.  It seems that when one specifies an illegal custom paper size, the M252 ignores the custom size and employs the default paper size setting (without providing a clear error message).  I had specified a index card size of 5" wide by 3" high.  With this setting, the printer ignored the custom spec. and assumed that the paper size was 8.5x11 and failed to print on the card.  By changing my paper size to 3"wide by 5" high and specifying landscape orientation, the printer accepted the setting and printed correctly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi,

You would need to change the paper settings for the printer too.

From the Setup Menu select System Setup, from there select Paper and Tray Setup.

Select Tray 2 and change the Paper Size from Letter to Custom, then try printing again.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

I tried this, and the printer still does not accept the custom paper size from Microsoft Word.  The symptoms are the same.

HP Recommended

Could you please go to Setup > Reports and print a Config Report?

Please share a picture of the printed pages via a private message, be sure not to share it publicly as the report contains personal information such as the printer's Serial Number.

You may use this link to send me a private message.

Cheers,

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

I finally resolved my problem.  It seems that when one specifies an illegal custom paper size, the M252 ignores the custom size and employs the default paper size setting (without providing a clear error message).  I had specified a index card size of 5" wide by 3" high.  With this setting, the printer ignored the custom spec. and assumed that the paper size was 8.5x11 and failed to print on the card.  By changing my paper size to 3"wide by 5" high and specifying landscape orientation, the printer accepted the setting and printed correctly.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.