Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP Color LaserJet Enterprise MFP M577 series
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My M577 frequently "forgets" that it has automatic duplexing.  There is no warning for this -- when I print, it will suddenly expect me to manually feed the pages back in to print the second side. 

Each time this occurs, it is easy to fix -- go to Manage Your Device / Printer Properties / Device Settings  and then change "Duplex Unit" to "Installed."  It will then work for a while and then forget that it has automatic duplexing again after some random interval.  

What can I do to ensure that it doesn't keep forgetting?

I am using an HP zBook 15u G4 Mobile Workstation with Windows 10 Pro

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

I'm not sure (I don't have access to a LaserJet M577) but the Installable Options section of the Device Settings tab in the Printer Properties dialogue (where you have previously set the Duplex unit to Installed) may also have an Automatic  Configuration option, which may be defaulted to On.

Such automatic configuration doesn't always appear to work successfully (I've no idea why), so change the setting to Off.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the advice.  I don't appear to have an "Automatic Configuration" option.  

However, it has been a few weeks since this problem has occured.  It is possible that a software update resolved it. Unfortunately, I can't pin down which update may have been responsible for this fix.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.