Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
MFP LASERJET M477
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Periodically, my MFP LASERJET M477 forgets it has a duplexing unit installed.  The display instructs me to perform a manual duplexing operation.

In an attempt to solve the problem, I go to the PRINTER PROPERTIES, DEVICE SETTINGS, and the DUPLEX UNIT selection is INSTALLED.  I change the setting, then change it back (only 2 selections - installed and uninstalled). Then UPDATE NOW.  No change in behavior.  The only thing that seems to work is to uninstall all drivers and management software and reinstall, which is a pain in the tucus with all the setups for the network and such.

Please help!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Just to confirm you do have the duplex version of the printer and it does work when you reinstall? I would suggest that you manually install the printer using a TCP/IP port and the HP Universal Print Driver V6.8.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

I do have duplexing unit. Besides the fact that it has been auto duplexing for over 2 years, it is a model M477fdw.

My model M475 worked flawlessly for 4 years using the HP software installation wizard. Why would the installation process be a problem now?

I would really like to know why this is an intermittent problem and is HP working to resolve it? It is frustrating to have an expensive product (for me as an individual) that forgets it has a component, like me forgetting I have a left arm!

HP Recommended

Because of extreme frustration because the printer is claiming to only be able to manual duplex more often, I completely uninstalled all HP software including support directories. I downloaded the Full Solution v.19137 driver and installed. After reboot, I installed Firmware v. 20190712. Reboot again, then configured the printer properties AND preferences to duplex/two sided printing.  Printed a two page browser page and before printing I confirmed the printer preferences were set to two sided printing.

Printer response? MANUAL DUPLEX, PLEASE RELOAD TRAY 2.

First printout since reloading software!

Went back to Devices and Printers > Printer Properties > Device Settings > Duplex Unit - Installed!!

Printer Preferences > Print On Both Sides > Yes, Flip Over!

This is making me rethink all future printer purchases!!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.