Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Laserjet MFP M476DW
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I cannot print multiple copies of a single page document without the printer / driver deciding it will print each copy either side of the page. If I ask for 8 copies, I get 4 pages with the same document either side. This happens on all of our PCs but not our Macs. I am running the latest driver, I've also tried a generic HP universal printer driver to no avail.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

>> ... I will try this but doesn't look like it a workable solution as this is beyond the remit of our users ...

You'd only need to change this setting once (per printer).

As far as I'm aware, the problem:

• Only affects simplex print jobs, (some of) which  do not include the appropriate 'set simplex' instruction - in which case the duplex = Off setting on the printer should come into effect.

• Will almost certainly not affect duplex jobs, because these jobs do include the appropriate 'set duplex' instruction - in which case this will over-ride the printer default of duplex = Off.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Symptoms suggest a driver fault - perhaps it does not set the 'plex' requirement for simplex print jobs, nor set the processing boundary for  multiple copies?

If we 'captured' (via 'print  to file') a sample print job, then analysed the resultant .prn file, we could confirm (or not) this diagnosis, although it would then merely confirm (or not) a driver fault.

You may (not sure) be able to circumvent the problem by changing the default duplex mode on the printer (assuming that it is currently set to 'On').

I don't have access to a M476DW device, but it is probably similar to LaserJet 400 Pro M475dn:

Capture.PNG

HP Recommended
Thanks for your reply and recommendation. I will try this but doesn't look like it a workable solution as this is beyond the remit of our users. Also it leaves users being able to change other settings from that webpage too which I could do without. Oddly this issue doesn't affect the Macs we use, my thoughts it is a PC driver issue. As a workaround we print one copy and then make copies of it by using the copy feature of the device, not ideal but it produces the result we want.

Thanks again
HP Recommended

>> ... I will try this but doesn't look like it a workable solution as this is beyond the remit of our users ...

You'd only need to change this setting once (per printer).

As far as I'm aware, the problem:

• Only affects simplex print jobs, (some of) which  do not include the appropriate 'set simplex' instruction - in which case the duplex = Off setting on the printer should come into effect.

• Will almost certainly not affect duplex jobs, because these jobs do include the appropriate 'set duplex' instruction - in which case this will over-ride the printer default of duplex = Off.
HP Recommended

Great, that solved it! Thank you very much, most appreciative of your responses!

HP Recommended

Hi. I have the same issue. In my case the printer is wired straight into a laptop (USB) and is shared with one other user, so how do I access the Web page setup as it won't have an ip address?

In Devices & Printers, the settings for the printer in both preferences and properties says NO to duplex and 'Print Both Sides' is not ticked.

Please assist!

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. We recommend starting a new thread for your issue by clicking here.
To be more helpful with your post, you can add key information if you desire: 
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A
2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows
4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.
If you have any other questions about posting in the community, please feel free to send me a private message!

Thank you

I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.