Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Laserjet Pro MFP m225dw

The printer stays on initializing. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @Doas,

Please find the NVRAM reset steps for the printer. Please select the most appropriate option for your printer based on the type of control panel that the printer has.

• Hi @Doas,

Please find the NVRAM reset steps for the printer. Please select the most appropriate option for your printer based on the type of control panel that the printer has.

• For Printer that has Touch control panel Bundled
    1. Turn off the device.
    2. Press and hold the lower right quadrant of the touch screen, keep the quadrant depressed as you turn the product on.
    3. When the ‘Permanent Storage Init.’ Message appears on the display, release the button.
    4. Turn off the device
    5. Press and hold theRight -arrow + Cancel (X) button, keep the button depressed as you turn the product on
    6. When the ‘Permanent Storage Init.’ Message appears on the display, release the button.
  • For Printer that has LCD panel Bundled
  • SUPER NVRAM Reset

For Printer that has LCD panel Bundled

• Turn off the device.
  • Press and hold the lower left quadrant of the touch screen, keep the quadrant depressed as you turn the product on.
  • When the ‘Permanent Storage Init.’ Message appears on the display, release the button
  • Turn off the device.
  • Press and hold the Left -arrow + Cancel (X) button, keep the button quadrant depressed as you turn the product on.
  • When the ‘Permanent Storage Init.’ Message appears on the display, release the button
  • Please mark my public post as an accepted solution for others to benefit if this helps. Please give me a Kudos also for my efforts to help if this works. 

Take care and have a blessed week ahead. 

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

@Doas, welcome to HP Forums, this is a great place to get support, find answers and tips.

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out.

I understand that your HP LaserJet Pro MFP M225dw is stuck on initializing screen.

Don't worry as I have a few steps that should help fix this issue.

And here's the step by step guide for you listed below:

1. Disconnect USB/Network/FAX and power on Standalone unit.

2. Check and remove any packaging material inside the printer and toner cartridge.

3. Try different power source.
4. Perform a power cycle by unplugging the power cord while the power is on and plug it back.
5. Perform a power drain by disconnecting the power cord from the back of the printer and keeping the power button pressed for 30 seconds and if there is a power switch, keep the switch in ON position for 30 seconds before reconnecting the power cord.

6. Restore printer to factory defaults:

* On the product control panel, touch the Setup button.

* Scroll to and touch the Service menu. 

* Scroll to and touch the Restore Defaults button, and then touch the OK button. The product automatically restarts.

7. Turn Off the printer for 3 min and then try turning On the unit.

Let me know how that works.

I hope you have a good day ahead.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended

Thank you Rainbow23 for your advise. Unfortunately, the solution provided does not work. Can you help me with an other advise?

HP Recommended

Hi @Doas,

I reviewed the post comprehensively. Excellent troubleshooting and Kudos to a job well done. I will send you steps to perform an NVRAM reset as a private message. Please perform the NVRAM reset that is most relevant to your specific printer.

Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. 🙂  Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you.  🙂

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helpsplease mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I haven't yet received the private message. 

HP Recommended

Hi @Doas,

• Hi @Doas,

1. Turn off the device.
    2. Press and hold the lower right quadrant of the touch screen, keep the quadrant depressed as you turn the product on.
    3. When the ‘Permanent Storage Init.’ Message appears on the display, release the button.
    4. Turn off the device
    5. Press and hold theRight -arrow + Cancel (X) button, keep the button depressed as you turn the product on
    6. When the ‘Permanent Storage Init.’ Message appears on the display, release the button.
  • For Printer that has LCD panel Bundled
  • SUPER NVRAM Reset

For Printer that has LCD panel Bundled

• Turn off the device.
  • Press and hold the lower left quadrant of the touch screen, keep the quadrant depressed as you turn the product on.
  • Turn off the device.
  • Press and hold the Left -arrow + Cancel (X) button, keep the button quadrant depressed as you turn the product on.
  • Please mark my public post as an accepted solution for others to benefit if this helps. Please give me a Kudos also for my efforts to help if this works. 

Take care and have a blessed week ahead. 

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi @Doas,

I thank you greatly for accepting this as a solution. It has been an absolute privilege to have worked with you and to share this platform with you. 🙂 You've been simply amazing to work with.

To simply say thanksplease click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

For now I hope the unit works great and stays healthy for a long time. You take care, stay healthy, keep smiling big and do have a blessed year ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I saw this on a machine, I believe it was caused a bad/cheap remanufactured cartridge.

I tried holding the bottom left side of the screen to do permanent storage init.  Also held the power button down for 30 seconds while machine is unplugged, neither had any effect.  Printer was running the latest firmware.  Also disabled ipv6 and turned off wifi, that made no difference either.

Here is what worked for me:

Turn printer on

gets stuck on initalized

leave the printer on, remove the toner cartridge

close machine

push place on screen where the home icon is (even though it isn't illuminated)

screen goes to main menu

reinsert toner cartridge

machine works fine after that

if power is reset on machine, you need to repeat the procedure.

HP Recommended

I have tried this and now it is getting stuck on Genuine HP installed.  Plese help my printer has been down for 2 days.

HP Recommended

Hi @Michaelr2corp,

A warm welcome to HP Community!

We might be able to recover the printer from the initialization loop by removing the toner cartridges and power cycling the printer. Here is how to do it:

1) Make sure this printer is plugged into a direct wall, not a surge protector

2) Remove all of your toner cartridges from the printer and close the door

3) Remove the power cord from the back of the printer (Do no press the power button)

4) Plug the power cord back into the printer

5) Wait for the printer to turn on completely, then install the toner cartridges.

Let me know how it goes!

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!
Have a great day!

Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.