Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Pavilion
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My HP Pavilion underwent one of those automatic windows updates, and now it cannot find my printer.

Using the Printer Troubleshooter only gets me stuck in a loop and it's Checking Spooler Service for over 30 minutes.

I've gone to "Devices", "Printers and Scanners" and my printer is not there

It's hardwired via USB to my computer so it's not a wireless networking issue

I tried Adding a Printer and it doesn't find the printer.

I downloaded new drivers and had them installed for this printer

I cannot figure out why it suddenly lost connectivity and now cannot even find my printer.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

First, do a complete power shutdown, not a restart, of your computer, then power it back up and check for your printer again. It might take a couple of times. I get that on my computer occasionally. 

If that doesn't work, it may have been one of the computer updates that caused the problem. It happens from time to time. You'd have to roll back the updates to fix the problem. 

HP Recommended

Thank you for your response.  

I did a complete power shut-down a few times (not restarts) -- still didn't work.

Yes, the problem occurred following an automatic update from Windows.

I don't know how to roll-back updates to correct a problem.

HP Recommended
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.