Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
laserjet 5000N
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just got an older Laserjet 5000N with a Jetdirect 600N Ethernet card. I have it plugged in to my router but my computer can't find it. I select EIO 1 Jetdirect menu the first sub menu item is BOOTP, there is no DHCP option. I've tried with BOOTP both on and off, and off the IP is set to the default 192.0.0.192 and the subnet and GW are 0.0.0.0. I've tried reaching the printer by manually entering the IP in the windows 10 printer control from my computer, but windows still can find it. does the DHCP option need to be turned on somewhere? Is there something I'm overlooking?

www.3dscanforum.org
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I pulled out one of our Jetdirect 600Ns and put it in a 5000. In default setup the card is in DHCP and there is no on/off for this, only the switch to BootP or manual address if you program an address in. I performed a cold reset on the printer and that put the card into DHCP mode and it polled an address right away. If a cold reset does not restore function then it is possible that the card has failed. Not surprising based on the age. Some older network hardware also does not play nice with current switch gear.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

This link to manuals library provides the config manual for this card when installed in a 5000 series printer

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/432494/Hp-Jetdirect-610n.html?page=31#manual

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Thanks, but I have this manual. My problem seems to be that there is no DHCP option if I set BOOTP = No. I can config the IP manually but again, my computer can find it.

www.3dscanforum.org
HP Recommended

Is the address you list 192.0.0.192, on the same network segment as your computer. Ie: 192.0.0.xxx?

The 192 address looks like an HP default and not a typical network address. You should be able to set a manual IP on this card, but I know they are sometimes finicky.

HP Recommended

I pulled out one of our Jetdirect 600Ns and put it in a 5000. In default setup the card is in DHCP and there is no on/off for this, only the switch to BootP or manual address if you program an address in. I performed a cold reset on the printer and that put the card into DHCP mode and it polled an address right away. If a cold reset does not restore function then it is possible that the card has failed. Not surprising based on the age. Some older network hardware also does not play nice with current switch gear.

HP Recommended

I did a cold reset and now windows finds the printer (thank you). However, it seems that win10 64 doesn't have a driver for the 5000n. Even after update there is only a 5100 and though that installs, the printer errors with an "illegalattributevalue" error and nothing is on the printed page. I downloaded the 5000n drivers from HP but win10 tells me that there is no compatible software driver when I try to install via dj5000.inf

www.3dscanforum.org
HP Recommended

I would manually install and use the UPD PCL 5 driver. 

HP Recommended

That worked. Thank You!

www.3dscanforum.org
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.