Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP Color Laser ink jet CP1518ni
macOS 10.13 High Sierra

My printer was working great and was printing documents, the next day I turned on the printer and when I hit print nothing happened. I did unplug the power cable and connecting cable to the computer, reconnected the cords and tried to print again still nothing is happening.  Any thoughts or suggestions? 

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi @lil19ly

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I understand that you are unable to print using the printer from your MAC. Let us try these steps to resolve this issue:

Use the control panel to print configuration and supplies status pages that give details about the product and its current settings. By this, we can conclude if this is a hardware or a driver issue.

1. Press OK to open the menus.

2. Press the Left arrow or Right arrow button to navigate to Reports, and then press OK.

3. Press the Left arrow or Right arrow button to navigate to Config report or Supplies Status, and then press OK to print the report.

4. Press X to exit the menus.

If the reports print fine, proceed to the next step.

Check the USB connection between the printer and the MAC

Make sure the cable is directly connected between the MAC and the printer.

The use of a USB hub is not recommended. Also, make sure the cable is connected to a USB 2.0 port on your MAC.

Do you have an Anti-virus/firewall installed on the MAC?

• Check if the printer is getting recognized by your MAC:
  1. From the Apple menu, choose About This Mac.
  2. Click System Report.
  3. Under the Hardware heading on the left side of the System Information window, click USB.

USB 3 devices appear under USB 3.0 Bus, and USB 2 devices appear under USB 2.0 Bus. The printer should be under the USB 2.0 Bus

If the printer is detected, install the printer using the HP printer driver

Click here to download the driver. Try printing.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for your response.  I went through all the steps, The printer is listed under 3.0 and the 2.0 is not showing up at all.  The printer is never disconnected from the laptop and we have not changed the usb cord or where the usb cord is plugged into the laptop in years.  What else can I do since it is still not printing? 

HP Recommended

@lil19ly, thank you for the response.

Do you have an anti-virus program installed on the MAC?

Have you tried to download the printer driver and installing it? What was the result?

Keep me posted for further assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

we do not have an. anti virus on the mac. 

If I remember correct I did a instal of the printer driver last week and nothing changed with it. 

HP Recommended

@lil19ly

Let us check the hardware functionality of the printer:

Try printing a configuration page

1. Load unused, plain white, U.S. letter or A4 size paper into Tray 2.

2. Press OK to open the menus.

3. Press the Left arrow () or Right arrow () button to navigate to Reports, and then press OK.

4. Press the Left arrow () or Right arrow () button to navigate to Config report or Supplies Status, and then press OK to print the report.

5. Press X to exit the menus.

For more info refer to this document.

Let me know how this goes.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Everything printed correctly, I am going to buy a new cord tomorrow and see if that helps since everything prints fine from the printer. 

HP Recommended

@lil19ly

If the printer test reports are printing fine, it means that the hardware of the printer is working fine. Yes, you may try using a different USB cable to check if that helps.

Keep me posted for further assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I got a new 2.0 usb cord and the printer is still not printing.  This is weird it was printing fine and the next day turned the printer on and now it wont print. Since the printer is still not printing with the new cord what are my options? I also checked the usb software report the printer is still showing in the 3.0 bus instead of the 2.0.  

HP Recommended

@lil19ly

Thanks for replying!

This further requires remote assistance, I'd recommend you contact the HP Support in your region for further course of action.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.