Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M477

HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M477 PAPER TRAY WILL NOT CLOSE

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

You may have inadvertently pressed the blue latch to extend the tray to accommodate Legal size paper?

In the extended position, the tray protrudes about 50 mm (2") or so.

HP Recommended

Galen4,

Please try this.  The paper tray on the 477 has two length settings.  One is for letter and one is for legal.  Because the media pick system is in the back of the engine, the tray must extend out the front for legal.  HP used to sell a small cover to make the tray look cleaner, but basically it sticks out an inch or two when the tray is extended.

Having said that, there is a small blue lever in the front of the tray a bit to the right of center.  If you squeeze that towards the front of the tray and slide the two sections of the tray together, the tray becomes small size and when closed is flush with the front of the engine.  Letter paper will still work with the tray extended becaluse it is held in by paper guides, but the tray sticks out and looks like it is not closed even though it is fully inserted.

Hope that is the problem (that is easy to fix).  Please let us know.

Dovid

I am an HP Employee
I work in Laser Jet Printing ((;-)>
The opinions expressed here are my own and not those of HP. Kudos are always appreciated if I have helped you.
HP Recommended

Thanks Galen4. Your advice was very helpful. Sesto

HP Recommended

I had this problem on our Color LaserJet Pro MFP M281cdw. While adding letter size paper, I inadvertently extended the paper tray to legal size. I could not adjust the tray back to letter size until I removed the stack of letter size paper. Seems like the tray has to be emply to enable this adjustment.

HP Recommended

No That is not the case- The blue adjustable tab is pushed in to accomodate and fit A4 size paper

HP Recommended

Thanks! that worked pushing the little blue latch.

HP Recommended

Thanks you about removing the paper!

HP Recommended

Your instructions worked great. Thank You

HP Recommended

I finally got this figured out on my own -- playing around with various tabs and buttons, not really aware of what they were actually for.  I have the user manual for this printer but could not find anything about this in the manual, which I found to be extremely limited and incomplete.  Documentation for this printer is just awful.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.