Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Example: Pavilion HP MFP M476dw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I continue to receive "Jam in Tray 2" error messages from HP MFP M476dw printer. There is not any paper "jammed" and none to be found.  Is there a way to reset this or is there a secret place to look?  So very frustrating. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi.

It sounds to me like a bad pickup roller.  These machines will throw a "paper jam" error if they fail to pick up paper at all.  Thats what seems to be happenning in your case.  This is a fairly straightforward roller to replace.  Here's a link to the replacement instructions (the instructions start on page 2, and refer back to page 1): Pickup roller removal and replacement

The part number for your roller is: RM1-4426-000CN

In your case, I might start by removing your pickup roller and cleaning it.  That should buy you some time.

Good luck!

Matt

Image Computer Corporation

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi.

Question:  When you turn on the machine, does it come up ready, and only give you the jam error when you try to print, or does it boot directly into a "Jam in Tray 2" message?  

If it does the former, you may just have a worn pickup roller.  

Let us know.

Good luck!

Matt

HP Recommended

Thanks for your response. 

It comes up ready, appears to go through the motions and sounds like it engages the paper tray. Then the error message comes up.

Is there a way to confim that the pickup roller needs to be replaced?

HP Recommended

Hi.

It sounds to me like a bad pickup roller.  These machines will throw a "paper jam" error if they fail to pick up paper at all.  Thats what seems to be happenning in your case.  This is a fairly straightforward roller to replace.  Here's a link to the replacement instructions (the instructions start on page 2, and refer back to page 1): Pickup roller removal and replacement

The part number for your roller is: RM1-4426-000CN

In your case, I might start by removing your pickup roller and cleaning it.  That should buy you some time.

Good luck!

Matt

HP Recommended

Thanks so much for your help!  I've been looking for that information online and was unable to locate it.  Those links saved me so much time. 

Hope you have a great afternoon!

HP Recommended

I'm unable to access the links.  Google Drive is denying.

HP Recommended

If it will do a test print it is not the roller.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.