Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Hp mfp M281 printer

I have an Hp mfp M281 printer and the paper tray will not close.  It’s sticking out...

any suggestions?

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Pull the tray out and look in the cavity. Most HP printers have a duplex tray that drops down for paper jam removal and if it is not reseated it blocks the paper tray from being reinserted.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Still won’t close ...

funny thing I am able to print but have the inconvenience of tray sticking out about 2 inches...

HP Recommended

This printer feeds from the back of the tray so in order to load legal paper, the tray will stick out of the front of the printer. Sounds like you have the tray set for legal, see clip from user guide below.

281 tray 2.jpg

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

My paper tray won't close all the way on my color laser jet pro MFP M281 FDW

HP Recommended

I have the same problem but none of these suggestions have solved it. Now what?

HP Recommended

Do you have any more suggestions?

HP Recommended

I just got mine closed by pushing the blue lever inside of  the paper tray, hold it down and push tray in place.  There are to blue button, push the biggest one closest to the center of the tray.

Good luck.

HP Recommended

I just got mine closed, push the blue lever inside the paper tray, the biggest one, hold it down and the tray slides all the way in.

HP Recommended

Yes that is the legal/letter adjustment and was what is shown in the page of the owners guide that I posted.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.