Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Color LaserJetPro M254dw
macOS 10.14 Mojave

I just bought the Color LaserJet Pro M254dw and the colors are beautiful but the type is not a sharp as my old printer the HP 452. It almost looks like the quality of an inkjet printer.  This is the first time I have a double sided printer - does this affect the quality?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Typically, having a printer or copier that duplexes will not change the print quality. You may want to try a different print driver. You can also check the product support page for any firmware updates. Just because it's new out of the box doesn't mean it is running the latest firmware. Depending on the operating system or programs / files types being sent- different print drivers can have a significant impact. Verify you have the correct paper type as well- plain heavy etc.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-color-laserjet-pro-m253-m254-printer-series/14121301

I am not a HP employee. I am a service tech on these forums researching topics and offering my best guess to aide in your troubleshooting.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Typically, having a printer or copier that duplexes will not change the print quality. You may want to try a different print driver. You can also check the product support page for any firmware updates. Just because it's new out of the box doesn't mean it is running the latest firmware. Depending on the operating system or programs / files types being sent- different print drivers can have a significant impact. Verify you have the correct paper type as well- plain heavy etc.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-color-laserjet-pro-m253-m254-printer-series/14121301

I am not a HP employee. I am a service tech on these forums researching topics and offering my best guess to aide in your troubleshooting.
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply - I will check the drivers and see if that helps

HP Recommended

This worked great! thank you.

HP Recommended

Do you mind sharing what the fix was? I noticed you were on a mac- many of the techs volunteering on here don't often work with mac's. There will probably be other folks with the same issue and we can help them out too.

HP Recommended

Thank you so much for the heads up. The printer set up seamlessly with my Mac straight out of the box but it was not printing at the highest quality. I went to HP and under support went to drivers and software and found my printer. I downloaded the driver AND  firmware (which had a utility update). I loaded it all - reconnected my printer to the wireless network and it is printing beautifully!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.