Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP Laserjet 2300dn
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I installed a Maintenance Kit (paper path rollers (4) and Separation Pad). Hoping for the best, I powered up. After initializing, I get a message that Paper Tray 2 is Empty when it is partially or fully loaded. It appears I’ve done something wrong.

I can print through Tray1 with no problem.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Larry Ring

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Well, you've got an oldie. I still see them from time-to-time. A couple of things to check:

1) The paper cassette has a small, plastic C-type part that should sit around the metal lift plate at the left front of the cassette that moves the paper full/empty indicator on the front of the cassette. Sometimes that part gets on the top of the metal lift plate instead of around it, and limits it's travel upwards and can cause errors.

2) Check the paper pickup roller you replaced and make sure the right side of the roller is sitting correctly onto the drive shaft and the shaft bushings on both sides of the roller are securely locked into place. Sometimes the new rollers don't sit correctly to fully engage the shaft and it slips out of the roller shaft. I've sometimes had to install a shim clip between the left side shaft bushing and the roller to push the roller over to the right far enough to keep the roller and drive shafts properly engaged. 

3) Make sure the metal lift plate in the cassette is moving freely and not getting stuck or is out of position.

4) The last option is to check the paper sensor on the printer to make sure it's not broken or out of place.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Well, you've got an oldie. I still see them from time-to-time. A couple of things to check:

1) The paper cassette has a small, plastic C-type part that should sit around the metal lift plate at the left front of the cassette that moves the paper full/empty indicator on the front of the cassette. Sometimes that part gets on the top of the metal lift plate instead of around it, and limits it's travel upwards and can cause errors.

2) Check the paper pickup roller you replaced and make sure the right side of the roller is sitting correctly onto the drive shaft and the shaft bushings on both sides of the roller are securely locked into place. Sometimes the new rollers don't sit correctly to fully engage the shaft and it slips out of the roller shaft. I've sometimes had to install a shim clip between the left side shaft bushing and the roller to push the roller over to the right far enough to keep the roller and drive shafts properly engaged. 

3) Make sure the metal lift plate in the cassette is moving freely and not getting stuck or is out of position.

4) The last option is to check the paper sensor on the printer to make sure it's not broken or out of place.

HP Recommended

A common issue with this model is to knock the paper sensor flag out of position when you take the tray 2 roller out and so it does not engage in the sensor assembly properly. You can easily if you have done this, by removing the tray and check the flag to the right of the pickup roller. It should move freely and be straight up and down.  This is the only issue we have run into causing a no feed issue after a PM kit is installed.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Yes, I do have an oldie, an antique as am I. The video I watched demonstrated how difficult it was to get the right shaft latch to release. It also showed how to  install the replacement. It failed to mention the paper sensor. Once I realigned everything related to the pickup roller, all is well.

Thank you!!

HP Recommended

Thank you for your response that was dead on.  Once I realigned everything related to the pickup roller, all is well.

Thank you!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.