Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
CyberpowerPC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have the Color LaserJet Pro MFP M281fdw.  I cannot print anything from the computer.  The test page prints from the printer's screen.  The HP Print and Scan Doctor indicates that all of the tonor is sufficient, and that drivers are all up-to-date.  The test page generated from this tool prints.  Nothing else prints.  Nothing shows up in the print queue.  I typed the IP address, and the HP system also shows that everything is up-to-date.  Have been on hold with tech support now for 56 minutes.  This is the second time I've tried to call.  I finally gave up because I had an appointment.  My printer is less than 2 months old, and is under warranty.  I cannot get help, and the printer won't work.  HELP!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Update - I was able to get the printer to work.  The resolution:  I went through my Windows 10, and did a cumulative update.  This worked.  I did this while on hold -- never did get through to a human.  Hope this is helpful to others who might be experiencing the same issue.  Have an awesome day!

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Update - after being on hold for 1 hour and 47 seconds (this time), the automated system told me to try again later, and then disconnected the call.  The number I called was [edited].  If anyone has a better number, where you can actually get customer service, please let me know.

HP Recommended

If the printer produces a page from the test program that would demonstrate that the printer does work. A common issue with Windows 10 systems is Microsoft print management. Typical installs will result in the printer being installed on a WSD port which is one of the least reliable communication methods. On your PC navigate to Control pane>devices and printers and right click on the icon for your printer and select printer properties from the drop down menu. Then click on the port tab and view the port type. If it is WSD, then click on add new port and create a new Standard TCP/IP port and use that port.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Sorry.  It didn't work.  I couldn't tell what kind of port Windows assigned, so I went ahead and added the port that you suggested.  It didn't resolve the problem, but I do appreciate your trying.  Thank you so much.

HP Recommended

Update - I was able to get the printer to work.  The resolution:  I went through my Windows 10, and did a cumulative update.  This worked.  I did this while on hold -- never did get through to a human.  Hope this is helpful to others who might be experiencing the same issue.  Have an awesome day!

HP Recommended

i want to make my printer print from my computerit an HP to like my pinteri try to print billsand it dosentit prints from my cell phoneit dose

HP Recommended

@JANIE52

Are you printing those bills from Online? If yes, try downloading those Bills to your computer and try printing

If the issue persists, I suggest you uninstall the printer driver from root level and download the full feature software

1.) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features 
2.) Select your HP Printer 
3.) Select Uninstall 
4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers 
5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose ‘Delete’ or ‘Remove Device’ 
6.) Open up the run command with the “Windows key + R” key combo.
7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”) 
8.) Click on the “Drivers” tab 
9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom 
10.) Select Ok 
11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows 
12.) Close Devices and Printers
13.) Restart the computer and download the Full Feature Software from Here and follow the onscreen Instructions

Try printing and let me know how it goes

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" on this Post and it will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

I would like to try this solution because nothing else has worked for me, but I don't know if I should select the "Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 4.8 for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64 (KB4532997)" or the "Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB4512495)." 

How did you know which to choose? 

Thank you.

HP Recommended

Hi @mFullen

Welcome to the HP Support Community. To assist you better, what is the issue you are facing with the printer?

How is the printer connected?

What model printer are you using?

It is recommended to install all the available windows update.

Keep me posted.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello, @Kumar0307.

I have the HP Color Laser Jet Pro MFP M281fdw. It is connected to my PC wirelessly. The signal seems to be strong per the printer settings, I have uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers (with no change in status). I have checked that my Windows 10 is up to date. The test page on the printer prints fine, but not when I send from the PC. I have run the Troubleshooter with no solutions.

Any help would be appreciated. 

Thank you.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.