Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Hp officejet4650
iOS

Hi, my printer was in a storage for a year, I brought it home today, connected it to WiFi, ink levels ok but it’s not printing. It runs the paper but comes out blank.

any idea what’s the problem?

thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi @Er2020

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you with the "printing blank pages" issue. 

To better assist you - 

1) Are you able to make copies using the printer?

2) What's the application you are trying to print from? Have you tried printing from a different application or device? 

3)Have you installed the HP Smart App?

While you respond to that, let's print a Print Quality Diagnostic page - 

1. Make sure to load the input tray with plain, white paper.

2. On the printer control panel, swipe the display to the left, and then touch Setup.

3. Touch Tools.

4. Swipe up on the display, and then touch Print Quality Report.

You may also refer to this document with steps to fix "Print quality " issue applicable for your printer - Print quality issue

Also, try updating the printer's firmware - HP Printers - Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

HP Recommended

Officejet printers can't be stored for that long without drying up the ink in the printheads. Inkjets, unlike laser printers, need to be run every couple of weeks or so to keep the ink from drying up and clogging the heads. You'll have to replace the printheads/ink cartridges, since the ink can become bad from sitting too long, especially if they were exposed to varying temperatures of heat and cold. 

HP Recommended

The printhead on your printer is not replaceable.

Were you able to try the suggested steps?

The printer you own can work in single-cartridge mode, wherein the printer will be able to print with one cartridge in the printer.which will help us identify if its a cartridge issue or a printhead issue

To try single-cartridge mode follow the below steps:

remove the black ink from the printer, leave the color in and try printing 
then remove the color ink and, insert the black  in and try printing 

Keep me posted!

HP Recommended

Jay_G24,

The printheads are replaceable on this model printer. They are actually built into the ink cartridges themselves. When you replace the ink cartridge, you also replace the printhead. You can see it in this list of printers with replaceable printheads:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Inkjet-Printing/Which-current-HP-printers-have-removable-print-heads/t...

Because the printer has sat for so long without being used, there is very little chance of recovering the printheads to print decently or at all at this point. Replacement is about the only option.

Er2020,

Simply purchase a HP 63XL / F6U64AN Black & HP 63XL / F6U63AN Color (2-pack) Replacement High Yield Ink Cartridges (1x Black, 1x Color) 

or

HP 63 Economy Tri-color Original Ink Cartridge, 1VV44AN & HP 63 Economy Black Original Ink Cartridge, 1VV45AN

and you should be back in business.

As a last ditch effort to possibly recover your existing printheads/ink cartridges, take them out of the printer and let them sit in a bowl of shallow warm water for a day or so, dry them off and try them again. If they don't recover from that, you need to replace them.

HP Recommended

@ALS-77,

The cartridges are IIC( integrated ink cartridges), they do not have printed integrated on them.

These cartridges are used when the printhead is integrated into the printer and the printheads are not replaceable.

The list is of printers that do not have a replaceable printhead.

HP Recommended

Hi @Jay_G24 

I appreciate your thoughts, but the printheads are integrated into the ink cartridges for this model. Please recheck that list I referenced to see that it stated for those printers "Printers with the printheads built into the ink supplies. Any current HP printers with two cartridges such as the HP 62 or HP 63 cartridges would fall in this category." at the top of the list. 

As you stated: "The cartridges for this printer are IIC( integrated ink cartridges)" which means that the ink cartridges and printheads are "integrated" together as one cartridge. So replacing the ink cartridges also doubles to replace the printheads. You can see an example and explanation of an IIC (integrated ink cartridge) at this link:

https://www.ldproducts.com/blog/how-to-clean-an-hp-printhead/

You can also see a wonderful set of pictures of those cartridges showing all sides of them which clearly shows the printheads on each of them at this link I found:

https://www.amazon.com/ESTON-Black-Color-Deskjet-Tri-Color/dp/B01AL9TC08

and you can also see samples at this link:

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ldproducts.com%2Fblog%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%...

Replacing the ink cartridges will fix this problem.

Have a great day!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.