Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP LaserJet M15W

I'm printing from a web based application and always need 'Orientation=Portrait' and 'Paper Size = A4'. Currently the printer returns after every use to a default of 'Orientation=Landscape' and 'Paper Size = Letter'. Thus, I have to reset the printer to my required preferences EVERY time I print a document. Surely there must be a way of setting the default values for a session?
I'm printing from W10 and iOS. When in W10, I tried setting up the device with desired defaults via the Control Panel but when I come to print from this website sure enough it drops back to 'Orientation=Landscape' and 'Paper Size = Letter'.

Advice welcome - thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Glad to hear the orientation stuck, but so too should the paper size. You might need to try a couple of times. There's also a couple of different ways to get to the Preferences section. I've found that one way doesn't always work for some reason, but the other way worked better.

If you find the information I provided useful or solves your problem(s), Please click “Accept as Solution”.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Check and adjust your printer driver Printing Preferences for the default orientation you want. Under Printer Properties - Device Settings, set your default paper size for each tray you have installed.

If my post resolves your issue please click the accepted as solution button under it.
Also, To thank a Tech for a post click the thumbs up button under the post.

HP Recommended

I appreciate your advice. However, setting DEFAULT printer preferences appears somewhat tricky. It seems to me that setting preferences in Windows control panel does not provide an underlying default. Rather the application from which you are printing has it's own print panel and dialog together with it's own set of preferences - which override those of W10. In my case, I think Firefox is providing the unwanted printer preferences. I have yet to get to the bottom of this, but I'm pretty certain it's not down to my HP LaserJet printer. If you have further comments, I'd welcome them. Thanks.

PF49 

HP Recommended

I understand your concern and confusion, but, when you open the print dialog window for the printer you want to print to, it actually "talks" to the printer driver for that printer to see what the "default" settings are set to and automatically applies them to the current print that you're trying to do, regardless of the application. The software and windows actually work together.

For instance, my basic printer I use is a HP LJ 4100 using Win 10. If I click open Windows Settings, then Devices, next Printers & Scanners, select my HP LJ 4100 Universal PCL6 driver, then click on the Manage popup button, select Printing Preferences, then select the Finishing tab, a box opens up with the Orientation section where I can choose Landscape or Portrait. Naturally I have it set for Portrait, but if I select Landscape and the Apply, any time I go to print now, it automatically shows my preview as landscape as the default orientation instead of Portrait. 

If I wanted to change my default paper size, I'd select the Paper/Quality tab instead and select the appropriate size, in your case A4 and hit Apply to save that as your default as well. 

Your tabs for your printer driver might be slightly different, but poke around and see what you find. Anything you change can be undone by going back in and changing it back. It really isn't all that tricky.

Please, give it a shot. It won't hurt to try. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised!

HP Recommended

Thanks for explaining so clearly. I'm relieved to have confirmation that this is how it's supposed to work - it is, as you explain, very logical. However, it's not working correctly for me. When in W10 Devices & Printers I set orientation to 'Portrait' that sticks; but Paper Size always returns to 'Letter' after I set it to 'A4' (unfortunately the form I'm repeatedly printing is just over letter size and requires A4). This seems such a trivial problem to pursue, but in practice it's frustrating for our users.

Thanks for your helpful advice.

HP Recommended

Glad to hear the orientation stuck, but so too should the paper size. You might need to try a couple of times. There's also a couple of different ways to get to the Preferences section. I've found that one way doesn't always work for some reason, but the other way worked better.

If you find the information I provided useful or solves your problem(s), Please click “Accept as Solution”.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

HP Recommended

Thanks for helpful reply - at least I know how it's supposed to work even if you have to find right way to set paper option.

Thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.