Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP Laserjet Professional P1606dn
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hi!  I'm trying to fix an HP P1606dn printer at the office where I work. When printing, the machine makes a clanking sound. I can see the paper being lifted up but it just sets back down and doesn't go through. I've read the suggestions listed in the Knowledge Base for this issue and nothing has worked. Below is a list of causes from the site and how I've ruled them out.

• Manual feed mode is turned on -- Checked printer settings, paper quality source is set to automatic.
  • The paper tray is empty. -- Tried printing with different amounts of paper in the tray, from small to large..
  • The paper length guide in the main input tray is not snug against the paper.
  • The pickup roller might be dirty or damaged. -- Just bought a brand new OEM roller and replaced the old one.
  • The paper is wrinkled, folded, damaged, or has ragged edges. -- The paper I used was not damaged in any way.
  • The paper is too moist, too rough, too heavy or too smooth. -- The paper I used was not damaged in any way.
  • The paper has the wrong grain direction, is of short-grain construction, is embossed, or is from a faulty paper lot. -- I used the same paper that is used for another P1606dn we have here in the office. That printer prints just fine.

Any help would be be greatly appreciated!

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

It sounds like you have a worn paper pick-up roller needed to be replaced but you did replace it........

Lower your head and use a flash light to see through the inner side of paper tray when it printing.

Find out if it lift up high enough for the paper pick-up roller to grap the paper or not, and check out if there's anything that got in the way which blocks up the paper path.

HP Recommended

It sounds like you've covered all the basics. The problem may be that the roller is not actually turning to pick the paper, especially with the clanking noise you hear makes me suspicious there is a mechanical/gear drive issue. Try to observe if you can, to see if the roller is turning when trying to print. Check for any obstructions in the paper path that may be blocking the paper from feeding as well.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.