Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP LaserJet M1522nf

We have an HP LaserJet M1522nf printer and recently I removed the part with the glass mounted to it (flatbed?) to clean black smears from inside the glass. I don't remember moving the scanner and everything seemed to go back together with no problems or binding or anything, but after powering it up while going through its startup routine the scanner moved back and forth just fine for a little while then it got up against the left side and started making a grinding sound. The error message came up: Scanner Error 5 Turn off then on. Turning it off then on several times it kept doing the same thing so I removed the flatbed again to make sure it wasn't hitting something and it still did the same thing. The scanner moves freely and easily by hand with the power off so I tried moving it a bit more to the right and powered up hoping it would re-home itself or something but it just took a little longer to do the same thing. Apparently the motor still works and so does the belt and there's nothing blocking its path, so can anyone tell me what to do to get it to re-home itself or whatever it needs to do?

Thank you for any help!

David

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

There should be a home sensor, that detects when the scanner is in the correct position.  Maybe you knocked it loose during cleaning? Or the cable got knocked loose? 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

There should be a home sensor, that detects when the scanner is in the correct position.  Maybe you knocked it loose during cleaning? Or the cable got knocked loose? 

HP Recommended

A person let me know somewhere else that there's a homing strip on the glass, and when I re-installed the glass I put it in with the strip on top and the scanner couldn't detect it. Thank you for the suggestion though, you were sure correct!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.