Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Common problems for Connectivity Issues
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about Printer Wi-Fi, Connectivity Issues and Offline Status. Check out this link: HP printer is offline or unavailable.
HP Recommended
276 dw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Ill try keep it short: Recently our client's one of the offices got unauthorized prints from HP 276 dw printer with threatening language printed on them. We came to a conclusion that someone used the printer's wireless direct function to do this which didnt require any password to connect and was accessible outside the premises. Now the management wants to secure the wireless function to prevent this in future . I have identified 2 main parts for this. 1. Setting password for or turning off the wireless direct. 2. Settings password for EWS to stop anyone from changing settings. 

Q1. Do I need to remove the wireless options on the control panel(to prevent staff from changing things by mistake) using OR is the control panel already secured by admin password I set on EWS?

Q2.  If I disable wireless direct on EWS, can I turn it on from the control panel for both scenarios when I have or dont have the admin password. 

Q3.  Do I need to worry about normal wireless functionality or just securing the wireless direct should be enough since I am locking EWS(all the printers are being used either on network or USB currently). 

Q4. Anything else I need to look into?

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

You should be able to set a secure password on the WIFI direct printing. Likely your "hacker" knows what the default passwords applied by HP are. 

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.