Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
LaserJet Pro M12a
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi!

I need help with the Laserjet Pro M12a. I have replaced the printer after my LaserJet 1015 went wrong.

Technical/ setup info:

Windows 10 x64

USB printer shared over network as "hpprinter"

Windows printing is working!

Dosbox setup LPT1 printing (parallel1=file dev:lpt1)  and net use LPT1 \\"network PC"\hpprinter /persistent: yes

Driver from the original CD or from the web site working same, PrintDoctor shows everything OK

Problem step-by-step:

1. Job printed from dos - driver laserjet printer (PCL or non-pcl, tried all possible)
  2. Job appears in the queue as "Older document format" with page count N/A
  3. Queue shows everything OK, NO ERROR, job file shows 2kB/2KB sent to printer
  4. Printer showing no sign of printing, not blinking!!!!
  5. Job disappears after 1 minute without message it could not be printed.

Possible problem, my suggestions:

driver issue

printing processor issue

no support for the older raw data printing - but he job queue is working....hm

Please help to find the solution! I need the printer working because the DOS software i am printing from is a custom made industrial sofware with no other replacement on the market. I need the outputs from this software to be printed on paper.

Thanx a lot for any help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

>> ... Maybe in the future there will be driver for M12a with pcl6 support ...

Which Page Description Languages are supported by a printer is determined by what language interpreters are present in the printer firmware (stored in non-volatile memory in the printer).

I think it exceedingly unlikely that HP will update (perhaps at considerable cost) the firmware in the printer to support additional PDLs.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

>> ... Job printed from dos - driver laserjet printer (PCL or non-pcl, tried all possible) ...

I've no experience with DosBox, so don't know how it generates print jobs (e.g. does it use the Windows drivers, or does it use its own built-in 'vanilla' ones?).

Bear in mind that the LaserJet Pro M12 printer series are host-based devices, so require their own (proprietary) driver (or an emulation) to generate the print job in the correct format; they certainly will not understand plain text, or PCL, for example.

HP Recommended
Hi! I think you're right. Shows to be problem with a correct language, with PCL. The printer cannot translate the job. Dosbox is not the problem, it is my msdos program that supports older printers and sending data in a language that the printer cannot accept. Laserjet Hp2055dn with pcl6 is working well so i have transfered the printing to it. Maybe in the future there will be driver for M12a with pcl6 support.
HP Recommended

>> ... Maybe in the future there will be driver for M12a with pcl6 support ...

Which Page Description Languages are supported by a printer is determined by what language interpreters are present in the printer firmware (stored in non-volatile memory in the printer).

I think it exceedingly unlikely that HP will update (perhaps at considerable cost) the firmware in the printer to support additional PDLs.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.