Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP LaserJet 500 Color M551
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello! How do I get rid of these smudges? I've cleaned everything I can find to clean. I've printed a cleaning page which did not have these smudges but else I print has them.

0338_001.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

32 mm developer roller = toner cartridge, not fuser.

Replace black toner and print will be fine.

My profile on LinkedIn

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Measure the distance between 2 smudges, and find a cause of them in the following sheet:

Screenshot from 2019-05-21 20:25:08.png

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

Most common cause on this engine is a clogged waste toner assembly on the transfer belt. Remove the transfer belt, and set on a piece of cardboard to catch toner if it spills. The waste toner bin is on the side of the belt that enters the printer first. On the side closest to the front of the printer, (left side), there is a flap that opens to allow toner to flow into the waste bottle. Slide the flap back and gently shake the belt. If a lot of toner falls out then there is a definite blockage. You can keep shaking until toner stops coming out.  This may fix your problem but in severe cases the mylar seals on the belt may be warped and will allow toner to keep being redeposited on the belt and causing more defects.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

There was a lot of toner in there. However it still prints the smudges at closer intervals  now. And the more pages I print the darker the smudges get.

HP Recommended

Measure the distance between 2 smudges in mm and check the above table what can cause them, you probably have a bad toner cartridge.

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

That says it is the developer roller. I also did a halfway test and there was no smudges to be found. So it looks like its the fuser? Correct?

HP Recommended

32 mm developer roller = toner cartridge, not fuser.

Replace black toner and print will be fine.

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

Perfect! Thanks!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.