Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP 5100 DTN
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

5100 DTN is loaded with letter size and 11X17 paper.

It prints instantly when using letter size, but the large prints take upwards of a minute or more before the printer starts printing.

I looked for similar posts and found something on setting 'paper/quality' to plain. i will try that.

This printer will handle 192MB of RAM, it only has 48MB installed. Could this be the major factor?

Thank you for your suggestions.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

More memory will always speed up processing time, but depending on content it will always take longer for a bigger page. Best way to speed compare is to print the same document using the fit to page setting and printer on both 8.5x11 and 11x17 and see how different the processing speed is to give you a baseline.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

I completely understand that a larger page requires more processing power and there will always be a limit to the speed at which it prints.

I read the service manual on upgrading memory but it is fairly vague on a few items.

It says it has 3 slots and that the max is 192MB. So can I assume that the max of each slot is 64MB? Is there any special installation order for the memory?

HP Recommended

The 5100dtn has an internal memory of 32MB, maximum is 192MB so you can add 160MB.

If your printer has 48MB you probably have one DIMM of 16MB already installed.

To add 160MB you need to remove 16MB previously installed, and install one memory DIMM of 128MB and one memory DIMM of 32MB. 

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

Thanks for the heads-up. The service manual says nothing about the internal soldered memory. So yesterday, I think I ordered the wrong memory. Well, the right memory, in the wrong sizes. The manual also says nothing about the density max for each slot or the order which they are to be installed. Unbelievable.

I think I ordered x3 64MB. Does anybody know if these slots will handle that much. Maybe just use 2 of them?

HP Recommended

You will not know for sure until you install them, and test, if you install more memory printer should recognise and use maximum that's 192MB.

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

Sorry for the delay.

This printer and the lack of info on it is giving me a headache. Don't get me wrong, it prints beautifully - when it prints.

It actually has four memory slots. After installing the memory I ordered, it wouldn't post. So after juggling the installation order of the memory a few times I was able to get it to recognize a total 168MB. But that's all it would see.

After all this, the printing speed has not improved much, if at all.

Any thoughts?

HP Recommended

Would setting up a designated print server help?

What would be the best server qualities for this? (CPU speed, memory, etc?)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.