Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended

Hello everyone,

Just a quick update, HP let me know that the cards are in stock again and I have an appointment with a technician on Friday, March 12.

-Noël 

-Noël
HP Recommended

Hello everyone,

The HP technician came this morning (Thursday, March 11) despite the fact that the appointment was planned tomorrow afternoon (Friday, March 12), anyway.

The appointment lasted less than 30 minutes. The technician first replaced the Cyan cartridge with a brand new one but when he turned the printer back on the error message was still there. He turned off the printer, remove the cartridge, put it back in the carriage, check the sensor (which looked OK) and turned the printer back on. A new message showed saying that a new genuine Cyan cartridge was detected. After that I was able to print and the printer seems to operate as expected from now on.

He told me that this problem was quite new for them (about 1 month old) and was due to the Cyan cartridge series but I saw on the Internet that this problem existed before.

If the error message had persisted, he'd have had to replace the motherboard of the printer but fortunately he did not have to do that. Fingers crossed.

He asked me if I had updated the firmware. I knew that I did once in the past year but after he had left, I noticed on the support website that there was a new version (V2.2052B, January 2021) and installed it. Before, I tried to check for updates from the printer itself but it told me that it was up-to-date which was not actually the case.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

-Noël

-Noël
HP Recommended

Hi Noël,

this is good news.

See my first post 😉

Have a nice day.
Andreas

I'm not an employee of HP, I'm as volunteer here.

Inquiries via private messages (PM) cannot be answered.
HP Recommended

Hi Andreas,

Indeed you were right about the cartridge but I'd have had to buy one and they are expensive. In my case, the replacement was free of charge.

-Noël 

-Noël
HP Recommended

I wish I had good news for you but this is an ongoing endemic issue with this model printer. I bought HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP 479fdw printer in March 2021 and it failed after about six months with this same error you are getting. Since then I have received three replacement printer and multiple replacement cartridges. My last printer and full cartridge replacement set lasted 2 months before spitting out the dreaded "Cannot communicate with the Cyan cartridge" error.  

You might want to check this link 

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printing-Errors-or-Lights-Stuck-Print-Jobs/Same-issue-for-M479fdw-agai...

It shows multiple people with this same error.

My printer just went out of warranty but at least I have a track record that is hard for HP to ignore. At least I hope.

Good luck.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.