Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
LaserJet Pro M402DN
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Bought a printer new-other, not functioning.  Printer would not reconize presence of paper in tray 2.  Message was load paper.  Checked it out and found that media sensor flag was jammed and a small tab broken off.

Was able to disassemble and remove the parts (dang those design guys are clever), now need to figure out how to find part number and where to order replacement.

The mechanism  is a small plastic assembly of two pieces assembled coaxially with a coil spring between the two.  the two parts slide onto an axle and rotate freely (in a short arc) on the axle.  As an assembly they serve as the media detect sensor for tray 2.  One part (A) has a long arm that sticks to the side.  Part A also has a small tab on the hub.  This tab maintains the relative positions of the two parts, allowing a tab on part B to rest against it with some tension in the spring.  Part B slides into Part A so both parts are located coaxially on the axle.

Normally part B hangs down to touch the top of the paper in tray 2.  The small tab on the hub of Part A has broken off so part B is rotating too far.  With part A broken, Part B is spring loaded to rotate up and this pushes Part A around also.  Part A has a flag on the end of the arm that sticks out sideways.  I suspect the flag interacts with a sensor to indicate the presence or absence of paper.  With part A mispositioned, the flag is not where it needs ot be to indicate the presence of paper.

I need to figure out the part number for part A and where to buy a replacement.  Sorry for the long winded abstract description.

Thanks for any tips or suggestions

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
Try partsurfer.hp.com

If my post resolves your issue please click the accepted as solution button under it.

To thank a Tech for a post click the thumbs up button under the post.

You can even click both buttons. . .

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
HP Recommended

Hello@mssusr9501

Welcome to the HP Forums.

I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers.

Media sensor flag is not a replaceable part, Here I recommend you to Contact HP Technical Support over the Phone for further assistance.

Technical support link :  www.hp.com/contacthp

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Regards,
Sizzlingsum_13
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post, I felt it was a long shot.

Thanks very much for your information.  It is disappointing to hear that the sensor flag is not a serviceable item.

Once again a kingdom lost for want of a nail.  Failure of a ten cent part disables a printer worth over one hundred dollars

Trying to find a phone number for technical support appears to result in entering a circular path of web sites that are recursively linked.

Although you have provided information, I do not feel that you have provided a solution so I cannot click "Accepted Solution"

HP Recommended
Try partsurfer.hp.com

If my post resolves your issue please click the accepted as solution button under it.

HP Recommended

Well that seems to provide an answer, assuming of course that the part I need is actually the Tray 2 Sensor Assy.

RM2-5375-000CN TRAY 2 SENSOR ASSY    

Now to begin the hunt for one.  Since technically not a service item, I may simply have to scrounge one from a salvage unit.  Nothing pops to immediate view on a google search.

Thanks for the tip though.

HP Recommended
When you find it on part Surfer is there a checkbox to the left of it, if so check the box and up at the top click add to cart and then you can buy it.

HP Recommended

HI.

P/N of tray2 sensor is RM2-5375-000CN

HP Recommended

Just changed the toner cartridge on the HP402n, and believe the media sensor for tray 2 was broken in the process.   Used to be able to have tray 1 open without paper in it, and it would pull from tray 2.  Now, with tray 1 open or closed, the display says "load paper" and it will not pull paper from tray 2 even though there is paper in it.

How can this problem be solved?    If it is the media sensor I cannot find any instructions on replacing it.  Please help.

HP Recommended
How would you break something that is sticking into tray 2 when changing a toner cartridge?

HP Recommended

Hi @Sizzlingsum_13,

Thanks for this reply, but please could you clarify one thing for me (as indeed this part has broken on our printer): if TRAY 2 SENSOR ASSY is a "not a replaceable part", how come it is for sale as part number RM2-5375-000CN  in the partsurfer.hp.com store (thanks @SHThompson). Would the fact that it's on sale not indicate that someone (maybe including a hardware idiot like me) could buy it and then replace it?

Many thanks 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.