Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
laserjet 1320tn
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Got this printer around 10 years ago when the company I worked for at the time where going to close one of their offices. I think they bought 2-3 years before. with two paper trays and duplex it's almost sufficient to add paper once a year and forget about it.

It's been working great since then for the occasional print at home, but recently it stopped working. When I press the power button it does the usual self tests and when finished the attention light flashes orange, nothing else.

If I press the Go button for a few seconds and the release it, it sounds a bit like the engine is starting up and a few 'clicks' like it tries to pick up paper.But nothing more seems to happen and it goes back to the flashing orange attention light.

I've read a bit about the 'sticky solenoid' problem and given the age it might be a possibility. But i would appreciate some input in case it might be something else?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The sticky solenoid would give you different issues. With your explanation, it could be something simple as worn-out paper pickup roller, broken paper pickup roller or broken paper pickup shaft.

You have a lot of videos on YT on how to replace paper pickup roller, remove it, examine for any broken parts and clean it to see will this helps.

My profile on LinkedIn

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

The sticky solenoid would give you different issues. With your explanation, it could be something simple as worn-out paper pickup roller, broken paper pickup roller or broken paper pickup shaft.

You have a lot of videos on YT on how to replace paper pickup roller, remove it, examine for any broken parts and clean it to see will this helps.

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

Let tray3 (the bottom one) be empty of paper or just pull it out of the case then try to print again to see it can print or not.

You can try tray1 (one paper input at a time top on tray2) too.

I think @Valsimot  is right.

HP Recommended

Thanks both of you. I have to admit a bit embarrassed,  that when I first looked into it I checked back and front for stuck paper. When i looked at the paper pickup roller @Valsimot suggested I noticed there was a lid at the bottom as well. In there as a really stuck piece of a paper. Removing that made it being able to pick up paper again.

The printouts look a bit smudged now with excess toner on them. But I think that might be due to me turning it outside up and will correct itself after a few printouts.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.