Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
MFP M277dw
macOS 10.14 Mojave

My M277dw no longer prints in duplex, despite having the duplex box ticked in all the right places.

I have scoured the boards here for a working solution and have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the official HP drivers, tried setting up with Apple's HP drivers, tried a generic PS driver, tried disabling AirPrint (although that was never a problem before).

Nothing makes any difference and all I get is each side of a double-sided job on separate sheets.

HP Employees please help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@pixxxie

The only option left is to perform a full reset and re-initialize the printer. 

The reset instructions are specific for your printer and performing those steps on a different printer may brick the device. 

I've sent you a private message with reset instructions, follow the reset instruction to perform a full reset and re-initialize the printer. 

In order to access your private messages, click the private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile, next to your profile Name or simply click on this link.

Hope this helps!

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

@pixxxie, Welcome to HP Support Community!

To further isolate the issue, may I know which application you are trying to print from?

Did you make any changes to the printer or computer recently?

Does the two-sided copy work?

Ensure that the printer is up to date with its firmware and Mac is up to date with its software. If you are unsure you may use the links below to update the printer firmware and Mac software:

Update printer firmware

Update software on Mac 

Also, refer to the documents below for help-

HP Printers - Print Settings Guide (Mac)

HP Printers - How to Print on Both Sides of the Paper (Duplex) (Mac)

Keep me posted for further assistance.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply, TEJ1602.

I'm trying to duplex print from Indesign and Acrobat.

I have recently installed HP LaserJet Pro M277 Series FW Update 20190419.dmg, HP Easy Start 2.9.0.180.zip, and HP HewlettPackard Printer Drivers 5.1 Apple.dmg

Double-side copying also does NOT work.

I am assuming that HP LaserJet Pro M277 Series FW Update 20190419 is the latest. My macOS is fully up-to-date.

My printer responds by telling me it's up-to-date when I follow these instructions: Printers with text-based menus: Select the Setup, Service, or Settings menu, select Preferences, Printer Maintenance, or Tools if necessary, then select Web Services, Printer Update, or LaserJet Update.

I checked the other two links you mentioned, but I know how to duplex print with this printer – have been doing it for some years now – so nothing new or helpful there.

Can I maybe somehow generate a report that I can submit?

HP Recommended

@pixxxie

Double-side copying also does NOT work- this sounds like a hardware issue.

Are you trying to make a two-sided copy on the printer?

Is there any error message when you try to make a two-sided copy?

If any error, please attach the picture of the same.

Keep me posted for further assistance.

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Do you get an error or jam when trying to double side copy or is the option missing from the copy menu as well?

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

@ TEJ1602

I put two pages in the tray, do to Copy>Settings>Two-sided and select either of the two options I have there, but neither works. There is no message, the printer just picks up each page and makes a single sided copy.

HP Recommended

@Repairatrooper

Nope, no erros, no jams. The two-sided menu item is there on the tiny printer screen.

HP Recommended

@pixxxie

The only option left is to perform a full reset and re-initialize the printer. 

The reset instructions are specific for your printer and performing those steps on a different printer may brick the device. 

I've sent you a private message with reset instructions, follow the reset instruction to perform a full reset and re-initialize the printer. 

In order to access your private messages, click the private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile, next to your profile Name or simply click on this link.

Hope this helps!

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Wonderful solution that works like a charm. Thanks very much for taking the time to deal with my problem, TEJ1602. 😍

HP Recommended

@pixxxie

That's great! Happy to hear that.  

If you need further assistance feel free to reach out to us.  

Have a great day ahead! 

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.