Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP LaserJet M1536dnf MFP
macOS 10.12 Sierra

Printing any image file on HP LaserJet M1536dnf MFP (FW version 2013-08-15) results in the following error message.

ERROR: undefined

OFFENDING COMMAND: image

Any help would be much appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello, @jaje

Appreciate your efforts!

Try the steps below:

• Uninstall the old printer drivers first. Follow the steps mentioned here: http://hp.care/2cKwLyC
  • Now run the Apple Software Update. Check here for steps: http://hp.care/2cNgw3C
  • Restart your computer and printer.
  • Click the Apple menu icon, and then click “System Preferences”.
  • Click “Printers and Scanner” / “Print and Scan” or “Print and Fax”.
  • Right-click the blank space in the Printers list, and then click “Reset printing system”.
  • Click “Reset” in the confirmation window.
  • Enter an administrator username and password, and then click “OK”.
  • Wait until the printing system is reset and no devices show in the Printers list
  • Now, click http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/HP_Quick_Start/osx/Applications/HP_Easy_Start.app.zip  to download and install the printer driver.
  • In the “Add printer” window, make sure you add the printer as mentioned below:
  1. Click the “Add button” (+).
  2. Find, and then select the name of your printer from the printer list, and then click “Add” to add your printer.
  3. Click “Print Using...”, and then select the name of your printer (By default “AirPrint” would be selected)
  4. Restart the MAC and try printing.

Hope that helps! Let me know!

Good luck 🙂

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hello, @jaje – Greetings!

Thanks for reaching out! I’d like to be of your assistance 🙂

Going through your post, it looks like an issue with the print drivers on your MAC. Try to reset the print system to try and fix the issue. Here are the steps:

• Right-click the blank space in the Printers list, and then click “Reset printing system”.
  • Wait until the printing system is reset and no devices show in the Printers list
  • Restart your computer and then go back to System preferences – Printers and scanners.
  • Click the “Add button” (+).
  • Find, and then select the name of your printer from the printer list, and then click “Add” to add your printer.
  • Click “Print Using...”, and then select the name of your printer (By default “AirPrint” would be selected)

Those steps should do the trick, let me know the outcome!

Cheers 🙂

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Thank you for the response. I followed the recommended steps and was able to reset the print system and add the printer (with AirPrint selected).

However, on printing any document containing an image, the printer outputs: "ERROR: undefined OFFENDING COMMAND: Postscript Error STACK: --dict--, --dict--, --dict-- ," 

Any further guidance would be much appreciated.

HP Recommended

Hello, @jaje

To assist you with this issue, I need to know whether the printer can make a "Photocopy" or not.

Place a document face down on the scanner glass and press the copy option on the printer control panel. Let me know if it makes a good copy or not.

Also, Is the issue specific to printing images? If yes, what application are you using to print the document / images? If possible, try a different application and check. 

Thanks, I'll watch for your reply!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

I confirmed, the printer is able to make photocopies normally using the copy option on the printer control panel.

The printing issue is specific to images only. Text documents that do not contain images print normally.

Printing documents containing images (PowerPoint slides, Word documents with embedded images, PDFs, screenshots...) result in the PostScript error mentioned in my previous comment. I have replicated this issue printing various documents using a latest-generation iMac running OS X 10.12.5 and a MacBook running OS X 10.12.6. Applications tested include Finder, Preview, MS Word, PowerPoint, Chrome, and a number of others.

Thanks very much for your continued support.

HP Recommended

Hello, @jaje

Appreciate your efforts!

Try the steps below:

• Uninstall the old printer drivers first. Follow the steps mentioned here: http://hp.care/2cKwLyC
  • Now run the Apple Software Update. Check here for steps: http://hp.care/2cNgw3C
  • Restart your computer and printer.
  • Now, click http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/HP_Quick_Start/osx/Applications/HP_Easy_Start.app.zip  to download and install the printer driver.
  • In the “Add printer” window, make sure you add the printer as mentioned below:
  1. Click the “Add button” (+).
  2. Find, and then select the name of your printer from the printer list, and then click “Add” to add your printer.
  3. Click “Print Using...”, and then select the name of your printer (By default “AirPrint” would be selected)
  4. Restart the MAC and try printing.

Hope that helps! Let me know!

Good luck 🙂

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

After following the steps above, I was able to print images normally again. Thank you very much!!

HP Recommended

Hello, @jaje

Thanks for the update & Great stuff! Glad to know that you were able to fix the issue 🙂

Please consider marking my post as "Accepted Solutions" to help other users with the same issue to find a solution more efficiently. Click on "Thumbs up" to give me "Kudos".

Visit us again if you have any concerns!

Thank you again and may you have a wonderful day and even better tomorrow 🙂

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.