Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Laserjet Pro M277dw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Similar to someone last year that posted a problem... I have gotten this message when doing a network status report.  The problem was exactly the same as listed below.  My printer had been connected directly to a network jack with a manual IP address.  The router still has the IP address setup and is good.

I have tried the basic reset and also the major reset to factory defaults.

The printer works fine is connected directly to a PC via USB cable.

Error message states "WPA authentication method on printer has been changed from the default  setting. This may cause problems when connecting to your wireless network."

It worked one day, then the next day it didn't. I also did not change the settings on my WiFi modem, nor the printer's settings.How do I change the printer settings back to default? I tried restoring my printer to factory settings via the menu, but that didn't rectify the problem.

Is it possible that the WiFi or network part/card of the printer could go bad?

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

If you are connected with a USB cable and not using the printer's wireless option, it shouldn't be giving you an error. If you don't need the wireless option, go into the printer settings and turn it OFF.

HP Recommended

Thanks but i tried that.

My goal is to get back to where I had it as a network printer on my home network,ideally hooked up via IP address through the router, just like before.

Now,I cannot get it setup thru IP address, or wireless network.  Only way it will work is direclty to a PC and only that PC can use it

Network cards go bad in these things?

Jeff

HP Recommended

Very odd. Yes, network cards/ports can go bad, not a common failure, but anything electronic can fail. I have a network analyzer I use to test network ports and connections for those kind of possible issues. When you connect the network cable to the printer, do you see little lights on the port light up? If yes, then it's kind of working at least. If no, then it could be a bad cable, wall/router port or printer port.

Since you can connect to a computer with a USB cable, you could always share the printer, then other computers can still use it through this computer.

HP Recommended

That is the other odd thing - the printer cannot be seen through the network.  I can see the computer it is attached to, but not the printer.  Actually I take that back.. I see the printer but when I select it, it comes back with a network error message.  i will have to screenshot the error so that I can see if anyone can help point me in a direction.  I have dealt with printers and networks for 15 years (not as a professional) and never came across this much headache getting a printer setup LOL

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.