Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Color LaserJet M180
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello everyone! 

I just purchased a Color LaserJet M180 and I absolutely love it so far, except for one really annoying issue. Before I go any further, it should be noted that this issue occurs on 3 other printers in the household, all connected to the same Wifi network.

I connect my Laserjet to my home's Wifi using the WPS function on the printer's keypad. All is well for about 2-3 hours, I can print from all my devices no problem. After a few hours, when I need to print something, my computer gives an error saying the printer is not connected. If I try printing from my iPhone, my phone doesn't even detect the printer anymore. I pull up the HP Smart app on my phone and it also shows the printer is not connected. However, the printer's control panel / LCD screen shows "ready" and with no error indications. 

So basically I need to walk downstairs everytime I need to print something, so I can push the WPS button on my router to get the LaserJet to sync up again. Like mentioned, this happens about 5 times a day. And, it happens to every printer in my house. I suspect some sort of network issue, which I know nothing about. Does anyone have any clue what might be going on? Any help at all is greatly appreciated. 

Cheers!

Colin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Colin9690

Assign Manual IP to the printer:

1) Print a Network configuration page from the printer's control panel. 

2) Look for IP address from the Network configuration page. 

3) Open web browser - Chrome or IE or any other browser that you are using. 

4) Type the IP address mentioned on Network configuration page into the browser's address bar or URL bar and press enter button. 

5) Go to the Network tab. 

6) Click on Networking from the left pane. 

7) Then click on Network Address (IP). 

😎 Click on Manual IP Address and go to suggest a Manual IP. 

9) Scroll down the screen and select Manual DNS server. 

10) Enter the Primary and secondary DNS server from the Network Configuration page into the Manual Preferred DNS server field. 

11) Click on Apply. 

Refer to the video link for step by step instructions - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCnYyq80V9g 

Note: The video is for win 8 but steps are similar for other operating systems as well. You need to enter the IP address in the browser's URL or the address bar to access the printer page.

Create TCP/IP Port: 

1. Search Windows for devices, and then select "Devices and Printers" In the list of results.

2. Right-Click the name of your printer, and then select Printer Properties.

3. Click the Ports tab, click on "Add port" select "Standard TCP/IP Port" and click "New Port"

4. Click next on the Add Standard TCP/IP printer port wizard, enter the printer IP address and click next and then click on "OK".

5. Now under the "Ports" tab you will find the Newport with the printer IP address, click "Apply" and "OK".

6. Restart the computer.

Keep me posted, how it goes!

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Have a great day!

Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@Colin9690

Welcome to the HP Support Community

I suggest you do a Hard Reset on the printer

(1) Turn the printer on, if it is not already on.

(2) Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.

(3) With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.

(4) Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet.

(5) Wait at least 60 seconds.

(6) Plug the power cord back into the wall outlet.

NOTE: HP recommends connecting the printer power cord directly to the wall outlet.

(7) Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.

(8) Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.

The printer might go through a warm-up period. The printer lights might flash, and the carriage might move.

Wait until the warm-up period finishes and your printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

Update the firmware for the printer using this link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/product/hp-color-laserjet-pro-m180-m181-multifunction-printer-series/14...

Restart the printer.

And Run HP Print Scan Doctor.

Click on this link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/topic/printscandoctor to download and Run the HP Print and Scan Doctor to fix the connectivity issue.

Have a great day!

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

Thank you for the reply Raj ! 

I tried your intructions in full, and the printer still has the problem. It's extremely random. Some days it will stay connected for like 8 hours, sometimes only like 1 hour. 

I find it odd this happens to every printer in the house, I don't even know how to check the network / router settings, and I don't even know what to be looking for. 

HP Recommended

It should also be noted that *sometimes* I can get the connection restored by turning the printer's Wifi Off then back On. Other times, I need to go through the entire network setup process again. 

But regardless, my printer is constantly getting dropped from my network and usually won't automatically reconnect. 

HP Recommended

@Colin9690

Assign Manual IP to the printer:

1) Print a Network configuration page from the printer's control panel. 

2) Look for IP address from the Network configuration page. 

3) Open web browser - Chrome or IE or any other browser that you are using. 

4) Type the IP address mentioned on Network configuration page into the browser's address bar or URL bar and press enter button. 

5) Go to the Network tab. 

6) Click on Networking from the left pane. 

7) Then click on Network Address (IP). 

😎 Click on Manual IP Address and go to suggest a Manual IP. 

9) Scroll down the screen and select Manual DNS server. 

10) Enter the Primary and secondary DNS server from the Network Configuration page into the Manual Preferred DNS server field. 

11) Click on Apply. 

Refer to the video link for step by step instructions - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCnYyq80V9g 

Note: The video is for win 8 but steps are similar for other operating systems as well. You need to enter the IP address in the browser's URL or the address bar to access the printer page.

Create TCP/IP Port: 

1. Search Windows for devices, and then select "Devices and Printers" In the list of results.

2. Right-Click the name of your printer, and then select Printer Properties.

3. Click the Ports tab, click on "Add port" select "Standard TCP/IP Port" and click "New Port"

4. Click next on the Add Standard TCP/IP printer port wizard, enter the printer IP address and click next and then click on "OK".

5. Now under the "Ports" tab you will find the Newport with the printer IP address, click "Apply" and "OK".

6. Restart the computer.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Have a great day!

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

Hello Raj, 

When I enter the printer's IP into my brower, and click on the "Networking" tab at the top, I can't seem to find anything regarding assigning the printer a manual IP address, or anything regarding the IP address settings at all. It appears my screen is different from yours  and what is shown in the video. I'll attach a screenshot of what I have. And thank you again for the help!

Cheers,

Colinscreenshot.png

HP Recommended

Since last time I posted, I was able to assign a manual address to my printer. I assigned 192.168.1.254. After that, I right clicked on my printer in the Control Panel, to access the "Ports" menu. I typed in my new IP address I created for my printer. Nothing happens, even with one print job in the queue. Just shows as "offline" and greyed out. 

Even stranger, I have the HP Smart app on my phone and the printer shows as available, and I was even able to print a document from my iPhone. So it works from my phone, but not from my computer.

If it helps any, I get an error if I were to type the printer's new IP into the browser bar. Also, the printer's LCD display shows a good connection. It looks like there's a solid wireless connection, but it's still not working from my computer. Screenshot attached shows most of what I'm referencing. Image 1.png

HP Recommended

@Colin9690

I found a good document that can resolve the Print quality issue.

Click here: https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-officejet-pro-6830-e-all-in-one-printer-series/5390307/docum...

Have a great day!

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

HP Recommended

Raj,

After completing all the steps in your previous post, the issue persisted. However, I completely removed the printer using the Control Panel in Windows, reistalled the printer onto my computer, and assigned a manual IP all over again. After doing this and setting the proper port, the printer now works flawlessly on mobile devices and from my laptop. Thank you for all your help Raj, it is very much appreciated!

Cheers,

Colin

HP Recommended

@Colin9690

I'm glad to hear you found the solution you were looking for.

Thanks for taking the time to let the community know about the solution!

Take care now and do have a great week ahead.

:)Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.