Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended

After doing some research I decided to purchase an HP Laserjetpro m118dw printer for the purpose of printing directly from my phone in a warehouse with no network connection or wifi available.  I am having difficulty establishing the connection with the printer to be able to do so.  I've managed to print the configuration page and have identified the Host Name.  I have opened a browser on my phone and entered the Host Name but it doesn't go any further.  I get a message "This site can't be reached.  NPIxxxxxx's server IP address could not be found."

Kind of at a standstill?  Do I need to connect the printer to a desktop to perform the setup?    

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@rpsixeight,

Thank you for posting your query on HP Community,

Wi-Fi Direct is a connection option available with most HP wireless printers released in 2014 and later. Use Wi-Fi Direct if connecting through a local Wi-Fi network is not an option or for guest printing.

Even if you do not have a router or network to connect to, you can print directly from your mobile devices to many HP printers using secure Wi-Fi Direct.

In this scenario, If you're using an Android or Apple iPhone or iPad device, you can use HP Smart App to print. 

For more details, please make use of this support document  - HP Printers - Printing with Wi-Fi Direct

Let me know how it goes for further assistance!

That said, If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Have a great day!

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@rpsixeight,

Thank you for posting your query on HP Community,

Wi-Fi Direct is a connection option available with most HP wireless printers released in 2014 and later. Use Wi-Fi Direct if connecting through a local Wi-Fi network is not an option or for guest printing.

Even if you do not have a router or network to connect to, you can print directly from your mobile devices to many HP printers using secure Wi-Fi Direct.

In this scenario, If you're using an Android or Apple iPhone or iPad device, you can use HP Smart App to print. 

For more details, please make use of this support document  - HP Printers - Printing with Wi-Fi Direct

Let me know how it goes for further assistance!

That said, If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Have a great day!

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.