Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
LaserJet 1020
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The latest Windows 10, 64-bit, update does not recognize my LaserJet 1020 printer that is connected via a USB 2 cable to a Lenovo X1 laptop. The Windows 10 troubleshooter says that I need to use a USB 3 cable. How can I solve my problem? When I searched HP's web site for LaserJet printers that use USB 3 cables, I found none.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thanks for your quick reply. However, I did the tasks that you outlined before I posted my question. Since my LaserJet 1020 is about 10 years old, I decided to hopefully solve my problem with an order for a new and more up-to-date printer.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Maybe try this idea.

Download the latest drivers

Create a folder on PC

Set properties to run in compatibility mode

Do not run as Administrator.

How to setup Run in compatibility Mode:

Copy folder to PC

Look for all Exe files

Right click on all Exe files

Go to properties and select Compatibility mode

Then run setup in administrator mode

After installation look for installed folder on PC and also change compatibility mode.

Hope this might work for the problem.

I am A certified Copier Technician.
It is so nice to give some help where possible and the forum is a great idea Thank You.Sometimes a picture speaks louder than words to find a solution.Should you find my help use full just give some credit for my effort please.
.Thank You.Copier-Pro
If you found this post helpful, you can let others know and also show your appreciation by clicking the “Accept as Solution”button, “Thumbs up" button!

#################################################################
I'M NOT AN HP EMPLOYEE AND DO ANSWER THESE QUESTION ON MY OWN BEHALF.
#################################################################
HP Recommended

Thanks for your quick reply. However, I did the tasks that you outlined before I posted my question. Since my LaserJet 1020 is about 10 years old, I decided to hopefully solve my problem with an order for a new and more up-to-date printer.

HP Recommended

Ok I eventually have solved the issue. I was able to connect ny 1018 printer with windows 10.

Not easy so thought  to document..

1. Download th 1018 (or any other printer) driver by selecting the OLD OS (ex windows 8, 7 etc).

2. Install the driver using the "have disk" option. Note that you can exract the .exe driver package into a folder using the zip/tar utility. Have disc then cann access the INF file inside the package and wuld update the driver.

3. In the printers properties dialog, Go to PORTS tab. Selct USB0001 (or similar) to as port. By default its LPT:1 or something like this

Follow above and you shoudl be able to continue to use your favorite printer. Hope it helps.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.