Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
laserjet mfp 280nw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

WhatsApp Image 2019-05-18 at 2.22.47 PM.jpegSITUATION
I use Google CHROME. I want to print two-sided in most efficent way on Gmail. When i open a Gmail attachment (2 pages attch). It opens on a new Chrome tab > I click PRINT ICON > a popup pops with selctable items on left > i click 'more settings' drop down > I check 'two-sided' > I press Print > First Page prints fine and then printer asks me to open TRAY 2 and place paper there > i do that and it works fine.

THE PROBLEM
its time taking. Why cant i make use on TRAY 1 (tray 1 is small opening for letters etc)? Can I not print Page 1 and then feed on Tray 1 instead?

Thanks alot in advance

Regards,

Ali

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi Ali,

Please open the HP Device Toolbox from within the HP Color Laserjet Pro M278-M281 software, Under System Configuration, select Paper Setup and ensure that Tray 1 is configured as Any Type and Any Size, then confirm any prompt.

From Chrome select Two-Sided and try printing, check if it may allow you to print the other side via Tray 1 now, be sure to reload the page with the printed side faced down.

This should be possible as clearly listed on page 37 of the user guide:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05543371

If your experience further issues, be sure to review the user guide for paper tray setup.

Additionally, you may try clicking CTRL+SHIFT+P from Chrome to launch the System Dialog instead of the Chrome dialog, click on Preferences, ensure the Paper Tray Source is set as Printer Auto Select under Paper/Quality and check for any difference.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Hi, thanks for replying. The printer was already default to the settings you advised. Therefore, it is behaving as usual. 

I found since the first (Page 1/2) of a Doc is printed from Tray 2, therefore, it prompts to insert paper in Tray 2 only.  I tested inserting First Page(1/2) into Tray 1, then it did prompt me to insert page in Tray 1. So it remembers the Tray.

Another workaround.

First I print Page 1 only (postpone page 2). Then insert printed paper in Tray 1 > then print again Page 2 only. That way i dnt have to Open Tray 2. 

But it baffles me HP didnt think this through. I cant be the only im guessing. Nobody would want to open trays when theres an open slot for very purpose i.e ease. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.