Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP 553dn
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Last week I purchased a new HP 553dn Enterprise printer. It installed just fine with the installation disk on both windows 10 pro and 7 pro systems. Over the weekend HP printer update attempted to install and failed on the Windows 7 systems. Since then everytime you try to print to any printer on a Windows 7 system you get "Function address 0x59bc6efc  (or similar)  caused a protection fault. (exception code 0xc0000005)."  I cannot remove the HP553 using the disk, I cannot remove the HP553 using the windows remove printer feature. If I reinstall the printer using the provide disk it installs as a secong printer but does not print or solve the protection fault error.  The only solution is to restore the computer to windows restore point that is prior to the failed HP update. Then the next day the update tries to run again and the printer problem is back.

The systems are running Avast internet security. I changed one system to Webroot internet security and it made no difference.

Ideas anyone

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Print a configuration report, under administration, reports.

THe printer must be network connected by ethernet cable so that you get an IP

I am an HP employee

Say thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you. Please mark the post that solves your problem as Accepted Solution.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hello Love computers,

That´s some sort of an Akward unexpected scenario you present.

Your product is a single function device, therefore, not much software needed but the print driver.

So, I´d suggest you do the System restore, Remove the printer´s software at all, and install the print driver only.

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=7527705&swItemId=lj_145736_3&swEnvOid=406...

Once you do that, no other unexpected updates should be pushed, and if they are, maybe want to check out which other software on your computer is trying to push updates (non microsoft).

Hope this helps you  a bit

I am an HP employee

Say thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you. Please mark the post that solves your problem as Accepted Solution.
HP Recommended

Okay, I have uninstalled the printer and the programs that the HP installion disk put on the system. When I have windows look for an available printer it does not find it. I tries to use and address lookup but cannot find the printers address.

How do I determine the printers address or set the address. I looked on the printers menu for it and on a computer where it is instaleld.

HP Recommended

Print a configuration report, under administration, reports.

THe printer must be network connected by ethernet cable so that you get an IP

I am an HP employee

HP Recommended

Problem is solved. Thank you

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.