Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended

John,

I'd like your scrubber to test.

I am running an ASUS that was purchased with WIN 8 pre-installed.

I upgraded to WIN 8.1 from the windows "Store"

I downloaded the driver for a HP 4500-G510 from the website for the 64 bit version of win 8.1

When I click on the download, I get no request for extract library or any other user input, just  the extract % complete bar

After full extraction, the software hangs up.  Have had some success with compatibility modes, but only getting to a HP screen. (Full install, uninstall, install device, custom) but no success past that.

The machine has been able to print but no scanning, no full featured software.

I deleted the complete HP directory in programs.  then got runtime error when extracting, so just cleaned the registry.

Can you send me the scrubber with detailed instructions?  Where does the extractor put files?

HP Recommended

Hi Jon,

I'm sorry to tell you that the scrubber didn't fix the issue:

• the unzipped file executed  in a fraction of a second; no feedback appeared what it did nor if it did anything at all (I would expect a minimal "terminated successfully" message from a professional utility:smileymad:)
  • after that I started the printer installation again with the same result: hangs after extraction

I cannot believe that your engineers aren't able to reproduce this behaviour. More and more I'm suspecting that it happens with non-american systems (also looking at the other complaining guys). So, I propose to ask your collegues in e.g. Germany to start OJ_AIO_4500_G510g-m_Full_Win_WW_140_408.exe in a Windows 8.1 environment after upgrade. I'm sure they will experience the same problem as we all do.

nevertheless: Happy Christmas

Thomas

HP Recommended

Hi Jon,

I am seeing exactly the same issue described in the posts.

HP installer setup just hangs using 30% of  CPU. 

I am trying to install OfficeJet 6300 all in one. I have Win8.1 64 bit.

I have 2 laptops that are exactly the same as above and the install worked after 5 attemps on one machine but not the other. They are both idential brand new machines. So I cannot explain what is going wrong.

Any advise would be appreciated.

HP Recommended

Dear HP printers users of this forum,

I want to inform you that the the small tool that Jon provided me in private worked perfectly. After having migrated from preinstalled Windows 8 to Windows 8.1, I was unable to install HP driver and tools. I ran this samll executable, and then the HP installation went smoothly. I thus recommend to use this "patch".

This is my last post on this subject.

I want to publically thank Jonathan for his help and HP for their reactivity.

Pascal

HP Recommended
Could you please provide a link to this patch?

Thanks
HP Recommended

I am experincing the same problems expressed in this forum.

1. I just purchased a new HP Envy 700-047c desktop loaded with Windows 8.0. I have upgraded to Windows 8.1 via the Windows store.

2. I have a Photosmart C6180 printer set up with a wired connection on my home lan. This connection is working. I have been able to set up printer thru windows connection and get basic print services.

3. The C6180 Solution Center is running correctly on 3 other Windows 7 machines connected to my home network.

Iwould also be interested in trying this new patch.

Thanks

HP Recommended

Unfornunately.. The patch did not work for me. Any other suggestions?

HP Recommended

What happened with the patch?

Can you collect me some logs?

See earlier postings about log collection

Thanks

JonW

I work for HP
HP Recommended

HI John,

I experience the same probleme with my photosmart C310.

1- First install : a file is missing

2- Screen freeze on checking status

3- next try : the process hangs on and remain in task manager

I use windows 8.1 and I have this probleme since my upgrade. I have tried all tools provided by HP, uninstall everything without any success.

Well it seems that your patch could improve my situation, could it be possible to have the link?

Thank you for your support

HP Recommended

Hi,

I have tried the patch, and am still seeing the process just running in task manager but not install shield.

I will attempt to gather the install logs.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.