Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

hp color laserjet pro MFP M281fdw makes a humming noise when printing.  The whole office hears this so we're not talking about a low humming. 

hp customer support helped me solve the problem - replace any low cartridges.  We had two that were 20% remaining and the support person said hp printers are known to make humming noises when cartridge levels are less than 25%.  This tells me hp cartridges are only 75% usable.  I wish I would have known that before I bought the hp product.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi Dapace2,

Laser printers in general may do noises when one of their toner cartridges is running low. This means it may happen to any laser printer, not only a HP one. I am sorry you had to experience such an unlucky situation.

Have a nice day.

ALEX-TATS
Printer Engineer for a HP Platinum Partner
I am not a HP employee
If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the “Accept as Solution” button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the “Thumbs up" button!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi Dapace2,

Laser printers in general may do noises when one of their toner cartridges is running low. This means it may happen to any laser printer, not only a HP one. I am sorry you had to experience such an unlucky situation.

Have a nice day.

ALEX-TATS
I am not a HP employee
If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the “Accept as Solution” button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the “Thumbs up" button!
HP Recommended

Our MFP M4777fdw has also been making awful noises lately during printing.  Our black cartridge is newer and has plenty of ink, but our color cartridges are virtually empty.  We really have no need for color at the present.  My question  is, can these color cartridges be causing the noise even if we're not printing in color?

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Yes that could be the case as well. Also, another part that may be responsible for noise is the ITB (Intermediatte Transfer Belt). Sometimes, especially after a lot of use, the toner waste compartment of the ITB gets some rubbish or just to much of excess toner. Cleaning it may help with the noise and with the print quality as well.

ALEX-TATS
I am not a HP employee
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.