Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
m251
macOS 10.12 Sierra

Hi There - I have had a reoccuring problem when printing PDFs in Adobe Acrobat Reader DC (the PDFs were created in Pages using the file>export to>PDF command). The print outs, sometimes, include horizontal or vertical bars (or thick lines) that are not supposed to be there. The color of the bars appear to be a more transparent version of the background color in the file (see photo attached).

I can export the same Pages file to a new PDF and the bars on the print outs will change. For instance the first PDF will have three bars in the lower lefthand part of the page and a second PDF exported from the same Pages file will print just one bar in the same general area. 

I have tried printing the same file from two different Macs to the same printer. The print outs both have bars but they are different colors in different positions. Printing the same file on my inkjet printer works but inkjet is not an option for the laser labels I'm working with.

I have the latest print driver and the latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader DC. Any help is much appreciated. Thank you!IMG_2751.JPG

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@notafan23

Welcome to the HP Forums 🙂 

I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers. 

As I understand there are random lines/bars added to PDFs when printed,

No worries, as I'll be glad to help you, that said, I'll need a few more details to dissect your concern & provide an accurate solution: 

Which app is it that you are using to open/print PDF files?
Are you using “Adobe reader”?

If you are not using Adobe reader, please install Adobe reader and then try to print the pdf image.

If you are already using the Adobe reader, follow the steps below:

1.Try the "Print as image" option:

• Choose File > Print, and then click Advanced.
  • Select Print as Image.
  • Click OK to close the Advanced Print Setup dialog box, and then click OK to print. 

2. Install the latest update:

• Open Reader or Acrobat.
  • Choose Help > Check For Updates. If a new update is available, it installs automatically.
  • Once installed, restart your computer.
  • Print the PDF again.

Also, please go through the steps mentioned here: http://hp.care/2dSDxCD 

Let me know if those steps worked for you,

If they did, that's awesome!

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,

That'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Yes it it Acrobat Reader that I'm using to open the PDF files. I am attempting to print professional looking product labels and don't want to print as an image because of the loss of quality. I do have the latest version of Reader installed.

HP Recommended

@notafan23

Thank you for replying with this detailed response 😉 

I appreciate your time and efforts,

I recommend you save the files in ".png" format to retain the quality of the image,

That said, you may want to try a different version of the Adobe Reader as this clearly is a software issue if the images are printing well but it doesn't work well when printed using the ".PDF" format.

If I have helped you resolve the issue, 

Feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon 

Followed by clicking on 'Accepted as Solution' 

And Have a great day ahead!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

A software issue does not seem to explain why the same PDF file will print without any problems on one printer but with problems on the HP LaserJet.

HP Recommended

@notafan23

Thank you for responding,

The software installed on your PC is clearly not compatible with the HP Laserjet,

considering the prints are fine while printed using an image such as .jpeg or others...it's not the printer hardware.

I recommend you try with an alternate application to print via the ".PDF" format.

Let me know how that pans out

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask any other queries as  well,

Considering, this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

{If this resolved your concern, Click on "Accept as Solution" & the Purple Thumbs up}.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Not sure where you're getting the info for this response. I'm using a Mac and I never mentioned printing .jpeg files. In my experience with HP customer service by phone, and here now, it seems like HP's only solution is to blame the software. This is not helpful and has turned me from a person with 2 HP printers to one who will never again purchase a HP product in the future. Ever.

The bottom line seems to be that this printer can't do what I purchased it to do without work-arounds that will diminish the print quality. My solution will be to buy a different printer which is very disappointing as this is not a very old printer but the headache is not worth it. 

HP Recommended

@notafan23

Thank you for responding,

The reason I mentioned that the image files print fine is because you have not mentioned that it has lines/bars and that the only concern with the images is that you lose the image quality, which as I mentioned before will not lose the image quality if saved in a ".PNG" format.

That said, If you have lines/bars while printing the image file as well, I recommend you follow the steps mentioned in this article:
Click here for details.

And Here's a related HP Forums post that seems to have helped others: Click here for the steps.

If the issue persists, Contact HP to setup a repair/replacement service order to fix the issue:

HP Technical Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: http://h22207.www2.hp.com/us-en/?openCLC=true

(1) Once the support page opens please select the country in which you're located. Next, enter your HP model number on the right.

(2) Next, choose the 'Contact Support' tab at the top and scroll down to the bottom of the 'HP Support- Contact' page to fill out the form provided with your contact information.

(3) Once completed click the 'Show Options' icon on the bottom right.

(4) Lastly, scroll down to the bottom of the page and select 'Get the phone number.' A case number and phone number will now populate for you.

They will be happy to assist you immediately. 

If the unit is under warranty repair services under the manufacturer's warranty will be free of charge.

If I have helped you resolve the issue, 

Feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon 

Followed by clicking on 'Accepted as Solution' 

And Have a great day ahead!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.