cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
2 1 0 1
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

when printing it makes a loud humming/ whiny noise.

HP Recommended
Color LaserJet Pro MFP M281fdw

We recently got a Color Laser Jet Pro MFP M281fdw. At first it was great printed perfectly and fast. but slowly we noticed a noise almost like a whiny sounds more then a hum. it has progressively got worse over the time that we have had the printer. Also randomly the printer will take a long time to print. most of the time it prints right away but every so often it will take like 5 minuets to print. the noise is much more important then the delay in printing. the sound is not coming from the cartridges they are HP brand and they have been changed.  

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Level 12
Level 12
6,097 6,047 651 1,543
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Possibly an off balance fan, try to determine the general area of the noise and when you notice it. If it is present when first powered on then more likely a fan as they all turn on at the start.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

Highlighted
Author
2 1 0 1
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The noise doesn't start until it is printing. It gets progressively louder the more it is printing. I can't pin down one spot that the noise is coming from but I can hear it loader near the cooling vents but that might be due to the holes letting the sound escape.

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation