Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
laserjet 100 color mfp m175nw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Colour prints have wide bands of light and dark tones horizontally across the picture. This happens with both photos and documents. Printer diagnostics are fine, cartridges are genuine and new and paper is HP. I have run cleaning pages and there are no error messages. Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Any chance you are using a different program to print the pictures this time. I have seen a variance in print quality between different imaging programs and some printers seem to do better with certain programs.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Print head may be out of alignment, or simply malfunctioning.  You should have an option to run an alignment in the service menu where you find the cleaning options.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply. I cannot see an option to run alignment in the service menu.

HP Recommended

Im sorry, it seems the call it something a bit different on this model.  Its called "Calibrate Color" and is found under the wrench icon, System Setup, Calibrate Color.  Then look in the lower corners for the alignment color bars.  If it prints that normally it may be an application problem your having.

HP Recommended

The alignment bars look fine. Yesterday the prints were fine but today is a different story with the bands appearing on all pictures. I haven't changed anything. Could it be the imaging drum?

HP Recommended

Its very possible if the drum has a "bad spot" that its not properly fusing the toner to the page making it look lighter in some spots.  Do you happen to have an old toner cartridge that you could temporarily swap back in to test?   

HP Recommended

I have put two of the old cartridges back in to the printer and the print outs are the same. I have had a quick look at the drum and can see anything obvious, although I don't really know what to look for!

HP Recommended

That would lead me to believe that its not related to the cartridge at all.  Did the diagnostic pages print with the color issue at all?

HP Recommended

Any chance you are using a different program to print the pictures this time. I have seen a variance in print quality between different imaging programs and some printers seem to do better with certain programs.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Thanks, I have pasted the pictures into word and they have printed fine. I still don't understand why the stripes appeared when the day before they printed fine using the same program! Not to worry it's sorted now thanks for all the help.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.