Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP OMEN 15-ax015nf
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I bought a HP OMEN 15-ax015nf, and a V-NAND SDD Samsunf EVO M.2 250GO. I plug the SSD inside the computer, but after reboot it's not showing in file explorater, in BIOS and in computer manager / disk utilities. How to do ?

Thanks

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

It may not be a compatible memory and controller type.

SSds with NVMe controller types are currently the fastest on the planet 

The compatible M.2 drives are:

Generic SSD 128 GB 2280 M2 SATA-3 Value TL 827560-027
Generic SSD 256 GB 2280 M2 PCIe 3x4SS NVMeTLC TL 847109-008
Generic SSD 512 GB 2280 M2PCIe 3x4SS NVMeTLC TL

Boot to Windows and use the command line utility called Diskpart to see if it is recognized by the BIOS.

C:\Windows\system32>diskpart

Microsoft DiskPart version 10.0.14393.0

Copyright (C) 1999-2013 Microsoft Corporation.
On computer: DESKTOP-DDILN85

DISKPART> list disk

Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt
-------- ------------- ------- ------- --- ---
Disk 0 Online 238 GB 0 B *
Disk 1 Online 465 GB 1024 KB *
Disk 2 Online 2794 GB 3072 KB *
Disk 3 Online 232 GB 0 B *

DISKPART> select disk 0

Disk 0 is now the selected disk.
DISKPART> detail disk

SAMSUNG MZVPV256HDGL-00000
Disk ID: {7232850F-9AD6-446A-AFBB-85F5AB290998}
Type : SCSI
Path : 0
Target : 0
LUN ID : 0
Location Path : PCIROOT(0)#PCI(0400)#PCI(0000)#SCSI(P00T00L00)
Current Read-only State : No
Read-only : No
Boot Disk : Yes
Pagefile Disk : Yes
Hibernation File Disk : No
Crashdump Disk : Yes
Clustered Disk : No

Volume ### Ltr Label Fs Type Size Status Info
---------- --- ----------- ----- ---------- ------- --------- --------
Volume 0 C NTFS Partition 237 GB Healthy Boot
Volume 1 Recovery NTFS Partition 450 MB Healthy Hidden
Volume 2 FAT32 Partition 100 MB Healthy System

Diskpart>

One of the Samsung SM951 M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD (256GB) is the boot disk in the desktop I am typing this on. It is wicked quick.

Use a clean command, press enter and then type in convert GPT. That will make it a uefi disk and should be seen by the OS if it is compatible.

You might consider returning it and replacing itwith an M.2 NVMe V-Nand type like the Samsung I have.

One big caution. Upgrading to an M.2 NVMe is not simple.  I have done it four times and it is still sometimes a struggle for me. 

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.